How to make a torrent auto open to download

Yankee123

I always used to get the popup window asking if I wanted to save or open the torrent file even thought I had checked always do this. It would open utorrent so I could download the file. By accident I clicked to download and the box to do this everytime was checked. Now I cant get it back to the way it used to be. I tried clicking on the box that says auto open the program window and to start the download automatically and nothing seems to help. Now it downloads the torrent file instead of just opening it in utorrent. How can I fix this please?

Thanks, but that didnt work. All that happens now when I click a torrent to download is that it automatically saves the torrent file and my downloads window pops up in firefox. Then I have to manually double click it in order for Utorrent to add it. I tried clicking and unclicking, applying, just clicking 1 and nothing works. It never worked this well the way I wanted to before cuz it would always open up that window asking if I wanted to save or open, but now I cant get that option back and its a real pain.

Thanks, but that didnt work. All that happens now when I click a torrent to download is that it automatically saves the torrent file and my downloads window pops up in firefox. Then I have to manually double click it in order for Utorrent to add it. I tried clicking and unclicking, applying, just clicking 1 and nothing works. It never worked this well the way I wanted to before cuz it would always open up that window asking if I wanted to save or open, but now I cant get that option back and its a real pain.

In your General Preferences do you have Associate with .torrent files under Windows Integration clicked on?

Yes I have associate with .torrent selected. It cant be an issue with my browser because it was working fine until I accidently selected to download instead of open torrent files and always do this was checked as well so its always saving instead of opening the file in utorrent.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the solution!! I'm not a usual poster (adding content to the community I know), more like 99.9% of people who surf for the answer then leave, but this problem has bugged me for ages until I had a eureka moment. Ha ha, at last, no more pressing the OK button on the "open with...." "do this automatically....." pop up thingy.

In Firefox

tools,options,applications,scroll down to "torrent files"and click on "torrent files", click the down arrow which now appears and click on "save file" click ok. This will download and save the torrent to your download folder. If you need to know where this download folder is, tools options,general, and you will see the folder next to "save files to". click browse to familiarise yourself with it's location.

In Utorrent

options,preferences,directories, tick the box next to "automatically load torrents from" then click the box to the right with the 3 dots in it and browse to your download folder which you familiarised yourself with earlier. To keep your download folder tidy and uncluttered with torrent files which you don't now need, check the box next to "delete loaded torrents". click "apply" at the bottom and click "OK" at the bottom.

TAHDAH!!

I wasn't happy not seeing anything on the screen when I pressed the "dowload torrent" button on the torrent site and had to go and check it was in Utorrent by opening Utorrent, thus still clicking away as many times as I have done for many years, so in Firefox..... tools,options, general (at the top), tick the box next to "show the downloads window when downloading a file" and tick the box next to "close it when all the downloads are finished". Because the torrent file is very small the window will just flash on the screen. It does mean however that when you download other files from other sites on t'internet you need to go and open the download folder to retrieve it but I'll suck it and see. I'm so excited I could crush a grape!!!

I hope this helps more plebs like me who go round in circles getting more and more frustrated.

Archived