uTorrent has been banned on Oink's

Anyway, I plan to continue using uTorrent.. just make sure you don't get banned because an ignorant tracker admin thinks you're trying to fake your ration.

Just had a brief conversation with TooMuchTime in IRC, and luckily he unbanned my account..

<TooMuchTime> jibegod - I did reenable your account but I'm not going to take any shit over this uTorrent thing.

<jibegod> TooMuchTime: Thanks

<jibegod> Do you think a warning might have been a more appropriate measure?

<jibegod> Banning an account for not violating *any* rules..

<TooMuchTime> jibegod: People act like they have a say in what I'm doing. They don't.

<jibegod> People act like they have an opinion about your judgement, which they do

<jibegod> Your judgement was apparently very uninformed about the nature of the uTorrent client, and with your refusal to explain your decision in detail, you fault people for asking questions?

<TooMuchTime> I don't have to answer questions. I will not answer questions because this falls into the realm of how we catch cheaters.

<jibegod> Alright

<TooMuchTime> As I said in my PM on the site, if this one client, used by less than 1% of the peers is going to cause me extra hours of work per day, I'll get rid of it.

<jibegod> That attitude should not belong to someone with authority over a large community of people

<jibegod> Your position exists to ensure that ALL users who abide by the rules and contribute to the community are treated fairly

<TooMuchTime> jibegod: like it or not, I'm in that position.

<jibegod> Yeah, I don't like it

<ubudes> toomuchtime isn't some dictator

<jibegod> Apparently he is

<jibegod> With his despotic ban

<TooMuchTime> Would you like to lose the account again? It's not like anyone is going to reverse what I do.

<TooMuchTime> Complain about it in the forums and you're gone.

<jibegod> Sounds good

<jibegod> Nice to know I have that option

What a twat! Worse than that idiot Haddock used to be at FL!!

I think the dev(s) of µtorent should consider the idea of implementing client_id switching à la G3/Rufus - another client that suffered from bans due to its (incorrectly) perceived leech/cheat ability

Sorry you need Nazi admins this client is still ruff around the edges i dont see any problem with him banning it for the time just put up with it and wait it out pritty sure that is what he wants. And haddock was a good uploader and you cant even register for the board so shut you mouth and show respect to the people the run the sites aka not you.

And no emulating will only get the client in more hot water that is a VERY dumb thing to do emulation is proven stupid look at the DC community.

As well if the client has the ability to leech aka a "leech mode" then ban it aka G3 :) and any clients from its source like rufus.

http://oink.me.uk/forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=28173

pritty sure that is what the fuss is about :)

@yEcKEl

What has registering got to do with anything? Haddock could have upped 467TB for all that it wouldn't matter , he was still a total cocksucker with a bad attitude ..I show respect for people that earn it - not expect it because they are power trippng mods..or short-sighted admins.

Democracy and fairness is something I support in every social interaction. Abuse of authority can only happen when people believe that they're powerless to fight it.

How would you feel if the functionality of a more mainstream torrent client was altered in a future release, and instead of the admins of your favorite tracker being smart and recognizing the problem, using a temporary ban until the problem was fixed, they made a blanket ban (with no intention of removing the ban!) and treated everyone who used the client as a hacker and a cheater?

i ve noticed the lame ass attitude that seems to prevail on most private BT sites.... buncha no life losers takin there sexual and just plain loserdom frustration out on the users... its a shame but i guess ur best bet in dealin with shithead BT staf is just lay low and leech... oh almsot fergot.... find a good cheat app ;)

About the client_id switching idea... I think it'd be better for utorrent to set a good reputation for itself instead of hiding behind masks. Soon enough (after the little kinks and bugs are worked out), utorrent will become more widely used (I'm sure if it). Then those admins will have to reverse their decision.

µTorrent was banned on the tracker I use. It was still messing up stats, even with the new version (although a lot less than before). So there are still some issues. The admins are going to test every new release until it is deemed 'safe' to use. Its a pity that these issues exist because I do agree that this client is a great piece of software. Here's hoping the issues will be cleared up soon and this great client will become even greater :)

Good work guys.

i ve noticed the lame ass attitude that seems to prevail on most private BT sites.... buncha no life losers takin there sexual and just plain loserdom frustration out on the users... its a shame but i guess ur best bet in dealin with shithead BT staf is just lay low and leech... oh almsot fergot.... find a good cheat app ;)

Agreed! Also, Utorrent still rocks. 8)

Well, certainly smart to trash the bittorrent sites for banning utorrent when clearly it is the client that isn't quite ready for prime time... :rolleyes:

I like what I see of utorrent so far. The resource requirements are eye-popping, it looks great and seems to be adding the features needed at a decent pace. However, if it currently provably has problems with getting the statistics etc right when talking to private trackers, then of course the sites will ban it for the time being, and rightly so.

Client bans aren't usually permanent though. They get lifted when the app that was acting strangely stops doing that. Witness the big brouhaha earlier over Bitcomet, it was banned for a while on many private trackers, but it's not banned any longer because they fixed the problems...

Unfortunately those links don't describe it to well.. they leave too many open ends...

For example it says:

The total amount uploaded so far, represented in base ten in ASCII.

What does "so far" mean? It could mean at least three things:

* Bytes since you started downloading the torrent

* Bytes downloaded this time utorrent was started

* Bytes downloaded since the job was set to started mode.

What I'm saying is that there is no clear description, and that all descriptions are ambigous, so unless someone can provide me with proper information, how would I know how uTorrent should behave?

Archived