Typical greenhorn questions!

MattOnTheNet

Hi fellow µTorrent users!

What occurs to me is the following:

When ever I download something, it seems that my upload equivalent always about a factor 3 to 4 bigger. For example: if I were to download 1GB of data, the "uploaded" value will show something like 3.7GB.

The same happens to the speed figures: if my download speed is, let's say 10KB/sec, the upload will be 40KB/sec.

Finally: I saw a message: "Lost 9MB due to 3 failed hashes" or something alike. Does that mean that the download in its complete is invalid and not useable? I've noticed a serious, recurring error in a piece of software I downloaded using µTorrent.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me!

Matthew

Klaus, thanks for answering. I noticed that my up/download figures are at the moment almost the same, app. 100kb - 100kb. My connection is a 8192d/1024u cable modem. I guess I should be happy with these figures?!

Do you have an answer concerning my other question or is uTorrent re-downloading the data when a hash fails?

Matthew

is uTorrent re-downloading the data when a hash fails?

Got it in one.

If a peer sends you bad data (because they're seeding the wrong or corrupt files) then the hash-fail will cause your client to re-download those pieces until they pass the hash-check.

OK, so you have a sort of ack-nack situation with retries. But why bother telling the user by default that such a situation has occured and not telling the user something like "Hash xxxx failed but succesfully corrected"? I mean, I can live with a retry being done in the background. And if I really want to see all the machinery that's under the hood, I'll just set a checkbox!

-

Thank you for your time and answer!

Matthew

Archived