please help!

Noy

Hi. Erm... I'm having a bit of a problem with speed in uTorrent. I have forwarded the port, turned off uPnP,have set up a static IP address... All that. Have followed the (excellent) FAQ sticky thing and have done all it's asked, yet i get crappy speeds of liek 15Kb/s.

I have taken the speed guide and have the results below:

d/l: 926 Kbps 115 KB

u/l: 164 Kbps 24 KB

I have capped my upload to 24 (as it says) but still get crappy speeds :(

I have a Netgear Wireless ADSL router DG834G, of which i have opened the ports of, added uTorr. to the list of exceptions, created rules to allow the program, all that kinda stuff.

One of the only problems i can think of is that i live in Guernsey, Channel Islands (small island south of UK) and have Cable & Wireless as my ISP.

Any help would be appreciated.

If your nominal upload speed is 164 Kbps (kilobits/s) it corresponds to 20.5 KB/s (kilobytes/s), you should use up no more than 80% of it, so global max. upload speed should be set to about 16 KB/s and the number of upload slots per torrents to 3 or 4. On the other hand, the speed strongly depends upon the available number of seeds and peers of the actual torrent. Especially in the case of older torrents with a few seeds only and a low number of peers don't expect miracles. In this case be happy if the download speed is about 2 x upload speed.

Also, if you have multiple torrents going at once, set upload slots a little lower...possibly only 2 to 4. I set some of my torrents manually to 1 upload slot if it is VERY slow and I've already uploaded a lot. This is because there's usually a lot of peers "stuck" at the same percentage complete on the torrent. Each new peer joins and tries to take 100% of your allowed upload speed...so they get REALLY fast upload speeds till they too hit the brick wall same percent complete that you have. Causes massive newbie confusion to see that, as they think their program's broke when download speeds go from 300+ KB/sec to absolute 0.

Archived