Only download the files I want

Bad.wolf

Hello !

Sorry if I misinterpreted it, but you are dissatisfied because after finishing the download of a torrent, it verifies the downloaded file and downloads it again?
Usually this happens with my finished torrents, I believe it is a bug of the program itself, and that a temporary solution is stop this process and change the downloaded file to another directory.

With this, you can indicate it in the torrent your new directory, or leave it anyway you wish.

:)

uTorrent has to download whole pieces and not be able to ignore the unwanted parts, because those parts are still needed for seeding and hash checking. That's a problem within BitTorrent protocol itself, so there's no way to change the behavior.

The pieces crossing the boundary pf skipped files and needed files has to be downloaded as a whole, that's why first and last parts of the skipped files are downloaded. More, the skipped parts are actually stored in 'uTorrentPartFile****.dat' - they cannot be deleted untl the download is finished. Expect that uTorrent always does its best to save download traffic.

It didn't used to. 

How, do they do the hash check before all these pieces are downloaded? - i thought this was the first part of the file anyway. 

I fail to see how it is necessary for me to download over 1Gb of data taking over an hour when I only need 100Mb.

Can you change this please utorrent?

Pieces are hashed separately and thus can be checked separately.

The exact amount of traffic wasted depends on the torrent and can vary greatly, and this has been how BitTorrent handles it since the very beginning. Without major changes to the protocol - which breaks compatibility and makes ALL current torrents on the internet undownloadable - this is impossible.

17 hours ago, Bad.wolf said:

It didn't used to. 

I fail to see how it is necessary for me to download over 1Gb of data taking over an hour when I only need 100Mb.

Each torrent is different, and piece sizes can range from 16 kB to 16384 kB (you can check the piece size under the Info tab. Piece size is the minimum that you have to download - so if you wanted a single 4MB file and the piece size is set at 16MB, you will download at least 16MB.

Also, remember that 973 MB that was downloaded and wasted...? It sounds like there is some sort of problem with that particular torrent.

Archived