uTorrent Shortcut

jp2code

On Windows 10 x64, I installed uTorrent Stable 3.5.1 build 44332.

I had about 15 different torrents queued up in it Saturday, and it was working on 5 at a time.

This morning, I noticed the app wasn't responding, so I shut it down to relaunch it.

What I cannot find is the shortcut to it. In the AppData/Roaming, there is a "uTorrent" folder, but everything in it appears to be the old version, 2.2.1.25154. No executable, just the old Compiled Help file "chm".

Nothing in Program Files or Program Files (x86) that I can find, either.

I tried double-clicking on a torrent (file with the .torrent extension), but it appears that 3.5.1 did not associate itself with torrent files. Microsoft wants me to point it to the correct executable ...and that's what I'm trying to find, too!

I can't attach any logs, because I don't know where the application is.

No, it is not in the Windows Programs link on the Start Menu.

Also, I tried these 2 older threads below, but it was not in them either.

This thread from 2008 - 

This thread from 2013 - 

Worth noting, perhaps, is that whenever it was running before, I tried to Right-Click on the icon in the Task Bar at the bottom to select "Pin to Task Bar", but that option was not available. My only option was Close.

Is it possible that uTorrent never installed, and that it was only running in RAM?

8 minutes ago, jp2code said:

Is it possible that uTorrent never installed, and that it was only running in RAM?

On your computer, try doing a search for uTorrent.exe.

Or try re-installing again and note the location of the folder it wants to install to. Once you know the location, abort the install & check what version is in that folder (if any).

There are several uTorrent entries, but none for the one I installed.

No, it did not install.

Before leaving for work, I ran the installer again. Again, it asked for the Admin password, then it asked if I wanted to create shortcuts in the Program Files and on the Desktop (clicked Yes), asked if I wanted to associate .torrent extensions with uTorrent and create a hole in the firewall (clicked Yes). It installed everything again AND IT IS RUNNING. But again, there are no shortcuts or entry in the Program Files folder, and nothing in the %AppData% folder except my old uTorrent entries. I don't want to delete my uTorrent folder in %AppData%, because that's got all of my settings.

Again, it just seems to be running in RAM.

Is there a bug in this build?

EDIT:

Hey Mike, in your signature, you have:

> Magnet Links: Download, rename "uTorrent.exe" then overwrite your previous uTorrent.exe binary

When I downloaded uTorrent, I renamed the downloaded "utorrent.exe" file to "uTorrent Stable 3.5.1 build 44332.exe". That is how I know what version I installed.

Would the installer screw up if the installer does not have the original name?

2 hours ago, jp2code said:

Would the installer screw up if the installer does not have the original name?

No. It doesn't matter what the installer is called.

The version (i.e. magnet) in my signature:

1) Can be run as a normal installer.

2) Re-named to uTorrent.exe. Then it can be copied and pasted over your existing uTorrent.exe - that is assuming you know the folder it was installed to.

The rules on this site apparently cut me off after posting 2 or 3 messages in a day, and that same rule applies to Private Messages. Very annoying.

So, I went to check on Task Manager to get the location of uTorrent, but it does not appear to be anywhere. Notice in the screenshot below that the "Open file location" is disabled. I think this program is running in RAM.

Is this a bug in this build? Can a Standard User not install this, even after providing the Admin password?

I cannot log into the Admin account to install it, because some goofball decided to install the program in the AppData section instead of the Program Files section. Even if it does install, my Standard User would not be able to access this.

If uTorrent can't fix these bugs, I'm going to ditch it and start using qTorrent.

EPvE6nm.png

1 hour ago, jp2code said:

I think this program is running in RAM.

There must be a physical location on the hard drive where it is installed to which, for some reason, you don't appear to have access to.

Is there an equivalent of msconfig on Windows 10? That might help you find where uTorrent is running from.

If not: If the program starts with Windows, try finding the Run location(s) in the Registry.

e.g. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

OK, it is installing everything into the Admin's AppData folder.

So, there is no way the Standard User can access it.

Why is it installing into the Admin folder?

Yes, whenever it installs under the Standard User's account, I have to provide the Admin's password, but I don't want the application and all of the shortcuts installing to the Admin's profile.

Seems like a bug to me.

Are you running this under an Admin account? Best practices for avoiding viruses is to not run your every day user as an Admin.

4 hours ago, jp2code said:

So, there is no way the Standard User can access it.

Is this a shared computer?

Maybe this will help: https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

If not, someone with a bit more knowledge of using uTorrent & Windows 10 could offer some additional assistance.

Yes, I keep uTorrent running on the Media PC, as it is the only PC in the house that stays running all day long.

Since it is also acts as the file server for all of our media (hence Media PC), only a Standard User stays logged in here. Otherwise, my kids would be deleting movies (or any number of other things) I want to keep without understanding what they were doing.

I'll look into that link (past time to leave for work).

But, I am a software developer, too, and I can tell you that a program is not supposed to install into the AppData section. Microsoft created the Program Files section specifically for running programs. The AppData section is only designed to store "per user" logs and data.

Should this be reported as a Bug?

The change to install to Application Data was made the some time back and is not a bug.

Well, then someone needs to tell them that it is just wrong, then.

The AppData folder is NOT where applications are supposed to be installed. The only applications that should ever appear in the AppData folder are Java apps that the browser needs to run.

Do you know if there was a reason for them moving that there ...before I go starting another thread ranting about how they are doing it wrong?

Archived