Quick Speed Question...

S3NTYN3L

I'm currently seeding (and ONLY seeding) two torrents I've created.

I was wondering if my upload speed of 50kB/s (as shown in the speed tab of utorrent) is average or not.

No matter what I do to tweak my settings, I can't seem to get the upload to go any faster...

SpeedGuide reports my connection as roughly 4000down/450up just about every time I run the test...

Can I get my uploads any faster? Is my speed about average?

Thanks for the help! :)

50KiB/s is respectable for a 450kbps line. The theoretical maximum upload speed at 450kbps is 56.25KiB/s, but in reality, overhead would cause it to be more like 50KiB/s. I'd suggest you limit to 45KiB/s though, so you could actually download and use the internet without issues.

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

Actually, I have no issues what-so-ever with things the way they are. While surfing the net I notice no difference. Dowloads are a little bit slower but nothing I can't live with.

The few torrents I have downloaded stay between 200-350 kB/s depending on seeds and whatnot...

I'm guessing my ISP connection speeds are more towards the lower end of the spectrum?

The reason for the upload speeds on Cable connections being so much lower has to do with DOCSIS. There's a limited number of upload channels per node. The different modulations QSPK, QAM, etc, have limited upload bandwidth. I believe for QSPK, the upload bandwidth was limited to 5Mbps per channel. With 16QAM it's up to 10Mbps.

Anyway, because upload bandwidth is very expensive compared to download bandwidth, and upload bandwidth being overloaded can completely destroy a network, cable companies cap the upstream bandwidth. This is why downstream speeds will be a lot higher than upstream speeds.

Yes, DOCSIS 2.0 allows 30.72Mbits upstream per channel, introducing 64QAM and 256QAM. However, from my understanding, 256QAM while allowing for more bandwidth, is also a lot more susceptible to line noise.

Upgrading to DOCSIS 2.0 is very expensive, and then comes DOCSIS 3.0. :)

Why would upgrading to DOCSIS 2.0 be expensive though? I mean, one would think that upgrading to 1.1 would be, since that requires more work and investment to make two-way communication possible. 2.0 doesn't seem like that big of a step up.

Archived