Alternative for Catalina

Fuga

Since the uTorrent folks have decided to create an abominable travesty of a torrent client, if you are upgrading to Catalina (and are not going to use the new web app) which client do you plan to use? And why?

Me? Looks like it'll be qBittorrent. I had thought I was going all-in with Transmission. I was finding qBittorrent sluggish with 2000+ torrents & Deluge unusable (even the v2) with even a few hundred. Transmission was missing some GUI usability things but was rock solid from the end user perspective. I liked Transmission enough to send a healthy donation. Then I figured out why qBittorent was sluggish (turn off Tags and Trackers - just use Categories) and it is doing just fine. Plus, the sysops of my most used tracker by far encourages qBittorrent over Transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite happy with qBittorrent. All trackers are happy with it. Tip: do not tick all the sidebar options: Categories, Tags, Trackers. For best performance I leave Tags and Trackers unticked. If you must use Tags and Trackers add those columns in the browser view then sort by those columns.

Besides needing to be compiled, Deluge v2 is still not up to handling large amounts of torrents. I have 2000+ and it bogged Deluge down to useless. But a few-several hundred? Might be OK whereas v1 was not.

Transmission was solid as a rock with my 2000+ but lacks functionality and many trackers' admins hate it.

Archived