Networking question

Ghost21

Hey guys, I'm currently using a Prolink 9000c modem/1-port router and I'm thinking of expanding my network to share the connection with my other computer.

So the question is, what do I need to buy? If I buy a router, wouldn't that mean I would have 2 routers (since the Prolink 9000c also acts as a router)? And how do I forward ports if there are two routers?

Hm, I'm not all that familiar with wireless setup, as I don't use it, but the way I see it is, you're going to need to get a wireless router to do wireless. As for the switch thing... some might say it is, but I personally haven't had any problems with a hub.

In general, if you're using a router, you should set up a static IP if you're going to port forward properly. My router, on the other hand, handles computers by name, instead of LAN IP address, so I don't have to set it up -- it's a major convenience :)

Almost always, it's best to put a combo modem-router with only 1 LAN-side connection in BRIDGE mode.

Then treat it like a simpler modem...which requires basically no further configuration.

Then you can look at your router behind the modem the same as the rest of us do.

If your router doesn't have enough physical connections, get a 5-port (or more) switch and use it to connect 4 computers to 1 of the router's plugs. Just remember that all the computers sharing the switch won't be able to connect to other computers as fast -- as they all share the ONE 100megabit/sec line from the switch to the router.

(A HUB would be even worse, as it only allows 1 computer on it to send and 1 to receive at a time.)

So that's how it works. No wonder I can't find any ADSL modem only in the market here. You know, like:

ADSL modem only -> 4-port router -> PCs.

So the way it works is like:

modem/1-port router in bridge mode -> router -> PCs?

I can't seem to find a setting to put my modem in bridge mode right now though. Might try the modem/1-port router -> 4 or 5-port switch -> PCs combination.

EDIT: Any decent brands to recommend?

Archived