I Need Help Port Routing through Two Routers

mrbicycle

Hi,

When I started using bit torrent I had slow downloads, not the speed shows as 0.0. I am running two routers so I can use vonage on my computer. The first router out of my computer (running XP) is a Linksys RT31P2. The second router (heading out on a dsl line) is an Actiontec GT701-WG.

I've tried creating a static IP as per directions on portforward.com. I've also tried configuring the only port I can seem to reach (which strangely enough is the actiontec when I go to 168.192.1.1 (or something like that!) but that didn't work either.

When I run a port routing test it says it is NOT open or working.

I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot this. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Michael

Why do you need to use both routers? Couldn't you simply use one that supports the Vonage, and not use the other? Getting around a dual-NAT situation is a pain (if at all possible with the two routers you have -- it depends), and it's easier to set one of the routers to bridged, or just removing one of them.

Great question. All I know is that the Actiontec router is what Quest DSL supplied me for the DSL and Vonage said to attach the Linksys router to the Actiontec router for my DSL. If there's a simple way to set this up with one router, I'm up for it. Any thoughts?

~Michael

I called Vonage and silverfire, you're certainly correct, there's no way to simply go through the Actiontec modem/ wireless router. But what's this about getting a router from Qwest with LESS features? Do you mean without the wireless...because that's what I use for my network.

Thanks again,

~Michael

...Great :)

You're standing knee-deep in dog crap without a shovel XD

Ok. Here's the short version:

1. Unplug your computer and plug it into the Actiontec.

2. Find out through it's clients list or DHCP table or something like that what the internal IP for your Linksys is.

3. Configure the Actiontec to DMZ the Linksys' internal IP. Normally I wouldn't recommend DMZ'ing anything, but yours is a special case, and the Linksys itself is a NAT by itself, so there's no real lost security here.

4. Disconnect your computer from the Actiontec and plug into the Linksys

5. Find out what your computer's internal IP is in the Linksys' clients/DHCP table and forward your BitTorrent port to your internal IP.

Essentially, with your Linksys router in DMZ, it'll almost be like it has a direct connection to the internet. That way, it's almost like there's only one NAT to fuss over.

If this doesn't work, then one or both routers will have to be swapped, replaced, thrown out the window, and other desperate measures may have to be taken.

Alright, this sounds REALLY scary, but I'll give it a go. Any tips on how to allow ALL ports (oh my God!) open at the same time, or will it be pretty plug-and-play once I figure out from my computer's IP? Actually...great, this bring up a BAD problem...maybe strike this idea. I run my PC through the Linksys, but use the wireless router feature of the actiontec for several laptops.

In this case, must I revert to your last rule:

If this doesn't work, then one or both routers will have to be swapped, replaced, thrown out the window, and OTHER DESPERATE MEASURES MAY HAVE TO BE TAKEN.

~Michael

Once you figure out your Linksys router's internal IP, it's only a matter of plugging its IP into the DMZ settings for the Actiontec. Your laptops going through the Actiontec are still protected by its NAT because it's the Linksys that's getting all the ports open. Afterwards, you just have to forward ports to your PC's IP from the Linksys and not the Actiontec because your Linksys is now almost unprotected. You can refer to http://www.portforward.com/ for directions on how to forward ports from your Linksys.

Archived