Is the new mainline client stingy?

geezer

Is it just my imagination or is the 4.20 mainline client kinda stingy? It keeps me choked indefinitely until I have something to upload to it and then seems to download less to me than I upload to it before it starts choking me again.

It's a torrent on the Public Domain Torrents site (extremely bad movies no longer protected by copyright) with one seed and an average of about four peers downloading (the peers come and go through the day because it takes days to download a 700 Meg file). The seed is very, very slow (and sometimes not available at all). In a slow torrent like this you can really observe how clients behave. There have been two different peers using 4.20 and both exhibit the same behavior of keeping you choked indefinitely until you have something to send to them. Then they seem to cheat by choking you again sooner than it seems they should. µTorrent and the other clients are different because they'll always cough up whatever they have to offer to the other peers. There's a BC client too and it's being positively loveable compared to the two mainline 4.20 clients I've seen.

Maybe both 4.20 users have overcommited their upstream bandwidth (on other torrents) and have this particular torrent set to low priority. So it might have nothing to do with mainline 4.20.

Sorry to whine about something that probably doesn't have any significance at all. :)

Archived