to use or not to use PeerGuardian?

crz06

Reading through previous topics on the use of PeerGuardian I'm getting kinda lost whether to use it or not to use it. Some say it doesn't matter, because if the MPAA/RIAA or alike wants your IP, they can get it that info from the tracker or ISP, and the changes of being caught are slim. If this is the case, then what is the use of PeerGuardian??

Reason i'm asking is that i just read that my ISP is handing over (without being force by the judgment department) IP adress, Names, Address of heavy uploaders to 'our' MPAA/RIAA. Yes, i'm swithcing to another one :)

I think what only helps is using a unprotect wireless connection, that case they cannot prove that you actually downloaded stuff, because your neighbours could have done it.

peerguradian also blocks IPs of people known for being bad/fake sharers, like people that always send bad data, or people poisoning swarms, or just people that only download and doesnt upload, however seeing how many many people peerguardian used to block when i used it i determined it was just too paranoid, and been using ipfilter.dat the better setting it only to the people that utorrent autobanned only, ohh and the mediasentry know addresses as well

How does the use of an unprotected wifi link assist in security?

Is there anything evil that can be done to you if you have one running? I would suspect that if the riaa wanted to come after someone they would just sidle up to the urprotcted wifi link and listen on it for a while to catch them downloading something.

Might they even possibly inject something unpleasant into your computer to dig around and look for things? It sounds plausible to me considering the laughable level of microsoft security. They could theoretically use their high justice above-the-law legal status to demand unlock codes from microsoft and just walk right in so to speak.

Archived