Noob question...heh...

T_Sperry

I've got a little question for the people who KNOW what they're doing. When I start up uTorrent, and try to Force Start a download, I see that the download needs to be "checked" (checking 1.0% etc.). First off, what IS this checking thing, and is there any way to avoid it? After all, it seems to be getting in the way of my progress towards completing a download. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

it's a Hash Check (namely SHA-1), that is, it is scanning the data and checking against a code (in the .torrent file) that validates the files. Basically, it's checking to make sure the data you have previously downloaded is true to what is contained in the full torrent (That it's good data, more or less). You want this check to happen.

in other words..it is looking to see what percentage of the file you already have downloaded..so it knows what is missing and what you need to get from peers to obtain 100% of the files

after it has finished it's checking,

if it finds you have 100% of the file..then it starts uploading to other people (if other people are there to leech)

if it finds less than 100% is sets itself to download from other people (if there are peers there that have the data that you don't have yet)

Archived