Alternating upload cap

Tinkula

Basically i have a very high speed internet connection. The downside of this is that i have my upload amount restricted to a certain amount per week. Uploading too much gets my connection capped and i don't really want that.

I was wondering if there is a way to set uTorrent alternate the upload cap so that my share ratio wouldn't go above 1, so if i get slow download speed i also have slow upload speed. At the moment i use the setting to uncap my upload ratio after the download is finished and a low upload cap while downloading, but that isn't really good as i'd like to get faster download speeds too. So is there a way to solve my problem with uTorrent?

Nope, no way to do it in µTorrent, though you can try some bandwidth manager.

If you want something like this included in BitTorrent, it'd only be fair that download and upload get limited to the same amount at any given time -- it's a P2P application. So I don't see any built-in way to do this being implemented.

If you are suffering with bandwidth/month (or weekly) limits, even when only seeding it's best to not let upload speeds run even at 80% connection max. Reason being, if for any reason something spikes, the excess counts against your limit but gets dropped for exceeding maximum speed. In short, it doesn't do you any good.

It also seems a bit unfair to NEVER want to seed to 1:1.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys got me a bit wrong there. I do not want to leech data, i'll always upload to 1:1. What i'm trying to do is somehow set my upload cap so that i don't upload data too fast and notice when the torrent finishes that i have ratio of 10, which is too high for my bandwidth limits. It is also not good to set a general upload limit, cause then i might end up uploading like 50kb/s while downloading 2mb/s, and in these cases i could upload way faster. After the download is finished, i'll naturally uncap the upload and let it seed to 1:1 ratio as fast as possible.

To automatically seed something to 1:1, you can use Queueing in µTorrent. Just check the checkbox at the bottom of the Queueing window, and set the upload speed to 0. That will STOP any torrents that reach the seeding goal set above it. I'd recommend putting the ratio to 110% just to cover all wasted data such as duplicate data and hash failures.

You will upload faster and for longer before reaching your upload cap per week if you set "Alternate Upload Rate while not downloading" to about 80% of your upload max. So if you have 256 kilobits/sec upload max, that'd be 26 KB/sec alternate upload rate.

These 2 settings combined will do automatically what you seem to currently be doing manually.

Archived