Can't open if not downloaded (even with 100%)

Snapphane

Yeah, maybe not the best title, but here is the problem/bug:

I downloaded parts of a torrent and by mistake a file that shouldn't have been downloaded, got downloaded a small jpeg). Now I know these things happen, but when I tried to open the file, it said "can't open, are you sure the file has been downloaded". Maybe didn't get the message correct, but you get the idea.

What I then did, was to set the file to "normal priority" and then tried to open it. Worked like a charm, so I set it back to, don't download and it still was possible to open it.

So, what needs to be fixed? Well, all files with a 100% download SHOULD open when clicked on. Not that the fix wasn't easy, but if it gets fixed the program gets a little better :)

edit

ooops, forgot the vital information. Running Windows XP SP2 anf µtorrent 1.6, build 474.

The reason for this is that all data downloaded of files that has been set to skip/Don't Download is stored in a special file (can't remember the name right now). The important thing is that it is not stored as a file on disk and thus it's not possible to open it.

Imagine that you have a torrent with 3 files in it, and you set two of those files to skip. Then when the torrent has downloaded (and we assume that the two files also got downloaded) the data of those files will be stored in one file. When you then set one of them to normal (or something other than skip) that data will be extracted and written to it's onw file and you can now open it.

To delete the file and put the data back in the special file when you select skip again would be dangerous, what if you have made changes to the file that you would want to keep?

The reason the files are not created if they are downloaded but set to skip is because you, by setting the file to skip, told uTorrent that you don't want the file, and it would then be wrong of uTorrent to create it anyway.

It's the partfile you speak of. Anyhow, if the partfile is working correctly, then IMHO, even a fully downloaded (small) file should not be allocated to disk, and its data should remain stored in the partfile. If it's going to be allocated to disk, then allow it to be accessed. It's odd to do it halfway between one and the other. I'm not sure why it's happening, and I've never observed it myself, but it seems like odd behavior to me.

Ahh, OK. Seems like pretty good behavior then. But still, maybe the error dialog needs a smaller fix. So that it says, check if it's downloaded and/or not set to skip. I found the fix pretty quick, but I'm pretty good with software and computers, other guys aren't. Making the program easy to understand and use is always a good thing :)

Archived