Peers Tab Question/Time inactive

Ranchpig

Specs... High End Computer, Wireless Internet Provider w/ a Static IP, No router... use 200, 100, and 8 on Bittorrent settings.

Searched FAQ and can't find exact answer. can someone explain why peers keep shuffling around so much? On the peer tab there are maybe 75 to 100 connections open. Out of those maybe 10 or so are downloading. They only seem to actively download for a few seconds and then they stop and either drop off or have another go at it. Occassionally i'll get a burst of some d/l speed for one connection but they'll stop fairly quickly. Then there are always quite a few that are only uploading at a fraction of a kB/s. Why don't they just stay connected??? Is this normal. And this is usually on a good torrent that has at least equal seed/peer ratio.

Also while i'm asking... I've come to understand that d/l speed is relevant to u/l speed. How does that work exactly? Does the client check ratios??? except for possible brief bursts i hardly ever go over my upload speed.

Thanks

Honestly, I'm not sure what "use 200, 100, and 8 on Bittorrent settings" is supposed to mean O.o What are your connection settings like...? Do you have protocol encryption enabled?

And no, µTorrent does not restrict anything unless your maximum upload speed is set below 6KiB/s. Ratios mean nothing to µTorrent -- they're just another number.

200 global connections, 100 per torrent, 8 uploads per torrent- .... i sometimes just use the 512k speed settings... but i find performance is best with those numbers. And I only download one torrent and seed one other at a time. my internet speeds are typically 2.5mb/down and 512k/up.

I don't really need to use protocol encryption since my provider doesn't throttle me back... but i click it on to see if there is any difference ... and there isn't really any, one way or another.

Also... is DHT provided by the tracker? Cause mine is always disabled on the GENERAL tab... even though it shows me with nodes connected. (ie. 150) and all settings are checked for on.

DHT is DHT, and is a separate entity entirely from any normal tracker, as it's decentralized.

I'm not sure why that'd happen, but if your settings are fine, and there's no ISP interference, then it might just be business as usual, with µTorrent finding better peers, doing optimistic unchoking and such.

You might get better results if you have fewer upload slots per torrent.

With your upload limited to 47 KB/sec, 3 active torrents at once (the default max setting for xx/512k), and 8 upload slots per torrent...each upload slot in each torrent may be getting less than 2 KB/sec each. Others will probably be out-uploading you, so whoever you're uploading to will likely be sending more of their upload to someone other than you. In short, you'll get download speeds from other peers irregularly and often at low speeds.

Try using only 5 upload slots per torrent but with the "Use additional upload slots if upload speed <90%" checked.

And if you can, don't run more than 2 downloads at once.

Thanks... and i have been getting pretty consistant max uploads and i took your suggest Switek. I do only run ONE download at a time and it seems to help.

And i've actually figured out part of my problem has nothing to do with any settings whatsoever... it's my radio antenae. It's keeps switching between towers... some kind of glitch when they swapped me over to a static IP. ??

Oh well.

Archived