Scheduled deleting of torrents

topaz

I agree with TheBear, uTorrent allready have the ability to sett 0% as a seed goal and stop the torrent when that is achieved. I don't see what automated removal would do that is so much more antisocial than that.

Allthough I'd prefer somthing a little more flexible (See my other posts) auto removal rules could help automation.

On the other hand a reliable and safe method for removing seeding torrents can enable an automated system to keep seeding util the last possible instant.

Case in point: I use a server with a large raid array as the main storage. For thermal, noise and reliability reasons I want to spin down the array on timeout (such that it is idle when I generally dont need it while sleeping or at work). Torrent activity is on a single drive, this drive is on at all times.

The active drive is much smaller than than the array and must be regularly pruned. The only practical way of doing this now is to do it manually, which means I will maintain ample free space on it to avoid blocking a download due to lack of disk space. A robust auto deletion system could allow the system to delete the oldest/best seeded torrent when it determines it needs more space. Net result: 30-40 GB more rooms for seeds on the server.

Sure this can be abused but seeing that uTorrent allready have the ultimate hit&run strategy implemented (don't ever seed unless downloading), I seriously don't see what the big deal is.

Archived