use a router on a router possible?

Shukie

since i share an unknown router with a house of people, it is not easy for me to check out the router's model and brand. but i have a router myself, my question is can i connect my router to the ethernet cable they linked me (from their router), and then connect my computer to my own router? so it is 2 routers in between me and the isp

If you're planning on performing port forwarding on your own router (the "inside" one as Switeck put it) to get around the fact that you can't forward on the "outside" one, you can't. You have to be able to forward on the outer-most router/firewall to get port forwarding working, so you just shouldn't bother. You only set the inside one to bridge mode if you forwarded the outside one properly, and if you can't do that, there's no point.

If the outside router is forwarded, then yes, you can either forward on your own router, or set it to bridge mode. There are no tutorials that I know of, so all I can say is... you have to look through the router configuration page for a way to set it to bridge mode.

Archived