Disc overload reasons

Abc12346

Hi, I have now been using uTorrent for a long long while. I have follwed every guide to getting rid of "Disc Overload" problems but no success. I would really like for someone to explain, again, what Disc Overload means. Could it be the HDD that is defect ?

Please advise,

Oizo

Your hard drive is too busy doing other things more than likely to keep up with all of µTorrent's read/write requests. That's what it means.

It may be the case that Windows has crashed alot for you and your hard drives have been slowed down to PIO mode 0 or 1 to "compensate". You need to check that (how I forget ...google it!), and set them back to full speed if that's the case.

Have you scanned for viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, and even leftover DLLs from uninstalled programs?

These too can cause all kinds of slowdowns.

Thank you for the tips, I am rith now scanning the computer for viruses and all kinds of malicious software. I have reinstalled (unplugged / plugged in) all of my HDDs.

My HDDs are connected with IDE, the disk I am downloading to is a separate disk, wich means Windows shouldn't interfere with the downloads.

I have a fast connection 100/100, but usually I only manage to reach about 5mega bytes / sek because of the Disc Overload error.

My friend next door has the same HDD setup, IDE, and most of the time he uses all of the juice in the connection (between 10-11MB/s).

If you have lots of ram, try to put an insane value to the disk cache size in the settings.

Check the "override auto size" box, and considering your fast speed, throw in something like 200MB? If that helps, you can reduce it later if the mem usage gets too high. Try to find the sweet spot. Your RAM doesnt suffer if its being used :)

EDIT: OH and also UNCHECK the box "write out finished pieces immediately" You must be finishing pieces like 20+ per second. Dunno if it helps, but worth a shot.

EDIT2: How fragmented is your drive? How much empty space there are, and how new/old it is? Disks do get slower when they are filled to the max, because then theyre writing to the inner sectors. Also, smaller(older) drives are slower because of the lower density. Is it on the same ide channel with an optical drive?

Archived