Fast up/down speeds BUT can't browse web w/utorrent running@ any speed

peacerobot

I have SBC and get great download and upload speeds (max for my package, about 300kb/s total) - I have opened the port on my Buffalo G54 airstation ...

BUT

I cannot browse the web using firefox or IE6 even when utorrent connections are very slow (limited to 10kb/s down and 10kb/s upload) ... nor can other users connected to the router wirelessly or by a physical connection. Most pages attempt to load for 10 seconds or longer then just bring up an error message ("cannot find page" etc). Can't connect to google or yahoo or anything.

When I exit utorrent and wait 5 seconds or so the pages can load again, my connection is back 100%.

Why can't I use utorrent and browse the web at the same time (even though utorrent isn't using all my resources)?

Thanks for any help!

Enable Peer Exchange if you haven't already. It may (slightly?) improve the number of peers+seeds you connect with on marginal torrents. On large torrents, it won't matter.

DHT can cause slowdowns with marginal routers. Anything using USB or wireless is considered marginal for purposes of running µTorrent.

DHT is enabled, my desktop which does the majority of down and up loading is physically connected to the router, a three laptops and another desktop connect wirelessly.

All is honkey dorry now ... increased connections to 256 using lvllord's tcpip.sys patch and changed utorrent to use max 100 then limited total up and down load speeds to 170kb/s (leaving about half the connection for web browsing which is still plenty fast for anything, even viewing streaming video).

Thanks for the help

thanx for your post peacerobot, it seems to have helped alot. The patch said worms may spread faster at 256 but my protection sould stop that (Nod32). 2 lines up on the forum speed prob. page is a post of the same prob. w/ a ton of views and replies but no real sollution, you seem to have it nailed, thanx again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived