utorrent makes AIM crash

dorkcovenant

When I run utorrent and AIM (via Trillian) simultaneously, AIM starts disconnecting and reconnecting quickly until it rate limits me out.

It only happens when running AIM (I have a Yahoo and MSN account going that don't get disconnected) and it doesn't matter what client I use (same problem with GAIM as with Trillian.) I saw a thread that suggested turning off DHT, but that had no effect, so any recommendations or help would be fantastic.

It may be due to the high number of connections you're allowing µTorrent to make...assuming it actually gets anwhere near those numbers. Reduce global connections and connections per torrent to <100 and <60 and see if that helps.

Or more likely it's due to the half-open connection limit in Windows XP SP2 that's being exceeded by µTorrent + AIM. You could try setting µTorrent's half-open connection attempt max down to 4 and see if that helps.

I tried pretty much everything listed by Ultima and I tried the half-open connection bit and none of that worked.

I tried the global/per torrent connection thing and so far the connection seems to be holding steady.

I recently reformatted my computer and switched ISPs. Before reformatting I didn't have this problem. I switched from Earthlink (with a Zyxel prestige 660 ELNK) to Yahoo (with a 2wire 2700HG-B).

Does anybody have any ideas as to a) what happened/changed or b)what I can do to return to the previous number of connections while maintaining my AIM connection?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived