slow speeds with the Netgear DG834

MaxpAyne

I have been trying to sort out the cause of the slow speeds that I have got with my Netgear DG834 modem/router. I have followed the guide to sorting the port forwarding on http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG834/Utorrent.htm . I have tried testing to see whether the ports are open using the self testing in the speed test guide in utorrent, however that keeps saying the ports are not open. I have checked many times that I have followed the port forward instructions, but it just doesn't seem to work. I still recieve really low speeds, in the range of 5-20 kB/s, and the status light is in the yellow warning after utorrent is started, and goes red some time later.

I know that the problem is the router, as I have tried connecting directly through a D-Link DSL 200, and that has no problems, speeds were 50+ kB/s and light was always green.

My ISP is Pipex, and max line speed is 8Mbps (apparently)

Thanks in advance for any help

At the moment, no. I have tried setting it up as a static IP outside the DHCP zone, however when I do that, the use of the internet seems to stop, I can still log onto the router, just can't access anything on the web, so I changed it back.

There is also an option in the router to add an address reservation, which will assign the current IP address to a computer, and anytime the computer connects to the router, it will be assigned that IP address. I dont know if that would be of any use.

Archived