brinstar Posted October 14, 2006 Report Share Posted October 14, 2006 I just changed from Azureus to µTorrent and I noticed a BIG slow down on my internet connection... I've read a couple of posts about this problem and I don't believe this is an isolated Issue.Alright, here's my setup :10mb/1mbit cable(~1200k/sec download with 120k/sec upload)PC1 -> Running WIndows XP SP2 with patched tcpip.sys to allow 500 connexions..-> Running µTorrent with the followings settings : max connection globally : 400, max connection/torrent : 125, max half-open connections : 10PC2-> Running WIndows XP SP2 with patched tcpip.sys to allow 500 connexions..-> Running IE6 / Firefox...Both connecter on a Linksys WRT54G V2 with linksys firmware on a Scientifix Atlanta Webstar cable modemUsing azureus, everything is fine (same max connections/max connection per torrent setting, same port, same torrent, same max upload, same max download) but when using µTorrent everything is REALLY slow.. I can't play any online games (getting + 2000ms latency) and browsing the web is a pain.I believe this is due to HOW µTorrent handles the max download/upload... but since it's not Open Source.. I can't check the code myselft...I set µTorrent to max 80kb U/L and DU Meter reports 100-105kb/sec all the time. When setting 80kb U/L on Azureus, I get 78-80 on DU meter. I think that Azureus calculate the overhead of the bit torrent protocol BEFORE it limits the banwidth... and µTorrent simply calculate how muich of the data itsleft is transfered... limit that then encode the packets and send them.Setting Azureus to 105k/sec U/L gives the SAME results as µTorrent at 80kb/secSee for yourself : Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.