Best Firewall to use with utorrent

mountainmachine

The only excuse imho to revert to a PFW is having your computer directly connected to the internet without any router in between or being in a LAN network you do not trust (although you could place a NAT router between you and the LAN).

Imho NAT (=a router and manual port maps) and a decent and up-to-date Virus scanner is the safest setup. The virusscanner will catch pretty much all dial home malware. And the NAT prevents windows security exploits from being abused or unauthorized applications that act as a server on your computer from being reachable. Throw Firefox (or another not IE engine browser) in the mix to prevent running into the majority of malware and your as secure as can be. Pretty much the only thing that can mess it up now is your own stupidity/recklessness.

let me ask back: what if some "bad day" malware is programmed in a way that circumvents the PFW software that runs on the same physical system that the malware is running on?!

Mein Lieben, the same -> physical <- system, what else is out there? I don't think anyone developed a spiritual system yet :P

Quick answer, then i'll sell my belongings and become a priest.

Couple of points to educate you:

1. Firewall running on other "physical" system is not statesfull = it can't see what application is creating traffic, so all it sees is for example a tcp outbound traffic going to port 80 - it can be a browser, but it is our malware.

2. Firewall running on the same "physical" system sees the same traffic and and application that created that traffic, so it sees out malware trying to phone home and stops it, dumb simple.

3. It is simply impossible to create malware able to put down every single firewall on the market. At this point it is you who is fulled, instead malware uses code injection - easier and more effective which can be picked up by firewall, or some windows security hole - then nothing can help you.

4. I didn't get fulled by any company, i use discontinued firewall that i have choosen after testing it and comparing with billion other solutions, and not by believing some vendors promises, like you said...

...but looking at your post it looks like you got fulled some time ago and now you are mad, because instead of spending sometime and checking out your firewall by yourself, you were to lazy and were hit preety hard by some malware or stuff:)

Archived