uTorrent appears not to work properly when I get capped

martinpev

Hi all,

When I get capped [reduced to 64k] from my 5.2mbits, files don't seem to download properly. I have been downloading/seeding a 357mb file for around 4 days now and it has downloaded 158mb and uploaded 6.39gb. Thing is, my internet quota program from my ISP and another independent one have shown that I have downloaded over 2gb. I haven't been using the internet for any other purposes though. Where has that 1.85gb gone? When the file is downloading, it usually downloads in the range of 3-5 kb/s which should lead to a gread deal more than 158mb over 4 days. As you may perceive, it is very annoying. When I am not capped, there is no problem, i've been able to download at 500kb/s on various occasions and all my download quota is accounted for.

While capped, all "excess" (beyond 64 kilobits/sec) incoming download packets are probably being dropped by your ISP but still counted against your download quota.

And like Ultima said, they may be counting your upload bandwidth useage too.

What settings are you using in µTorrent? (as shown by Speed Guide CTRL+G)

You simply MUST limit your upload speed max in µTorrent to below what your connection can currently sustain at any give time or you will have upload overruns.

With a low download speed as well (such as 64kilobits/sec) you probably need to limit your download speed max in µTorrent as well.

While you're limit to such a low download speed, you might as well limit your total connections and connections per torrent to 40 or less. Maintaining each connection (even if they send nothing!) costs some of your precious download bandwidth too. ...and you'd only need a handful of connections, possibly only 1, to max out your download speed.

What do you have to do to get uncapped?

Wait for my quota to reset. I dunno how it works where you are, but most ISPs in Australia give you an allocation. I have 10gb per month at a maximum of 24mbits (my lousy copper wiring and the distance from the telephone exchange gets me to 5.2mbits) on-peak (12pm-2am) and 20gb (2am-12pm). If you exceed that quota, you get capped. I have to wait till the 2nd of every month to get reset. I tend to exceed my quota within 3 weeks...Anyway, more to the point, limiting my download/upload speed for utorrent worked like a charm. About 150mb in 12 hours, which is much better that 150mb in 72 hours. Thanks Ultima and Switeck. And yes, there were many hashfails. What can I do about that?

Downloading Open office is wholly reliable and their hardware is also wholly reliable? Is that why you suggest to download that, because it is completely reliable? I will assume that that is what you are alluding to. The file ended up working perfectly. My guess is that it is probably the fault of my hardware, i've had various problems with it already (even with all firmware updates).

Archived