Speed problems

nat

Firstly i'm not very up on all the tech terms etc, i'm relatively new to computers. :-)

i have been using Utorrent for about 2 months, when i first got it i don't remember really doing much to the settings (i didn't read any guides or anything) but it pretty much worked fine, my speeds on well seeded torrents were up to about 50kB/s but they did vary quite a lot but that didn't bother me.

Earlier this week i tried to D/L a file that had plenty of seeders but also a lot more leechers, the speed wouldn't go above 0kB/s - 1kB/s even with plenty of seeds connected, i wondered if there were too many leechers for the number of seeds so i figured i'd wait a few days for it to calm down.

I hadn't changed any settings (firewall etc) so couldn't understand why it's gone slow.

I tried again a day or so after and got no better so i read the faq, speed guide etc. and came to the forums and read loads of posts.

I have managed to get one file in a reasonable time after a sudden jump in D/L spped for about an hour, but only on that torrent.

I also noticed that my U/L speed hasn't been going up to it's limit like it used to, even though i have quite a few popular torrents seeding

I did a speed test:D/L speed 922kbps (115.3kB/s)

U/L speed 234kbps (29.3kB/s)

I use McAfee but Utorrent has full access and my windows firewall is off.

I use TalkTalk Broadband (i've seen it on that list!) Speedtouch adsl modem.

I have got the green circle at the bottom of the screen. (always have had)

I'm pretty sure i set things up right for my connection speed, i've got upload set to 23k

i don't really understand ports,(i've had it on the same one -52680- since i got Utorrent and it's been generally fine before) however i notice it says Unable to map UPnP Port in the logger tab and i have it enabled in options. Does that matter?

I have DHT enabled but i have tried disabling it over the last few days of trying all sorts!

I'm sure i'm forgetting to tell you something so i'll say sorry in advance!

(by the way, as i've been writing this my U/L has been at it's limit for a bit but my average D/L is 4kB/s however one is at 25kB/s - i have 3 Downloading, all well seeded between 19 and 44)

I'm sorry if this sounds like normal variation but i've not had this happen before and it's generally the same torrents i get on a weekly basis!

TalkTalk is possibly throttling BitTorrent traffic. If that's the case, encryption might help. Encryption can also help when you're mostly downloading from people on throttled ISPs.

If UPnP isn't working correctly, you're best off to disable it.

Have you run µTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and chosen the xx/256k setting?

(That closely matches your connection's upload speed.)

If you didn't run the speed guide, do so and post what settings you're currently using...certain combinations can result in very bad download speeds.

Did you change any advanced settings µTorrent?

hey, i have protocol encryption enable if that's what you mean?

I did the speed test and used those settings (256k) but put my upload to 23k, i also changed my max active torrents set to 3 and max D/L torrents to 2 but when i first started using Utorrent i had them set to something like 8 max active, 5 max D/L and it used to work fine!

I didn't change any advanced settings.

just did a "port forwarded correctly?" test on speed guide and it was OK.

Should i still disable UPnP?

Re: Talktalk, i only put Utorrent on through the daytime(until 6pm) as i'm told that this is non Peak hours (TT don't like people using P2P at peak times!)

Thanks for replying.

Running lots of torrents at once with very little upload speed may run fine for you if those torrents have enough fast seeds+peers on them...however you will be a very slow peer or seed to everyone else, basically giving little back for what you're giving. At the lowest end of it, you end up being worse than a leech -- because if you're uploading less than 1 KB/sec per person (per upload slot*active torrents) then you're not even fully compatible with the BitTorrent protocol concerning connection choking.

With 8 torrents at once and 4 upload slots per torrent...that's 32 total upload slots. Since you said you were uploading at 23 KB/sec, that'd work out to be 0.72 KB/sec per person at best.

Yes, Protocol Encryption is something to have enabled...but in your case you may need to try Protocol Encryption FORCED and allow no legacy connections. If that doesn't help, reenable legacy connections and change P.E. from forced back to enabled. Many ISPs are throttling any and all unknown traffic...so hiding what µTorrent is doing using P.E. doesn't help.

If you did manual port forwarding correctly and it tests ok, you should disable UPnP...which tries to do the same thing automatically. UPnP in that case can cause problems -- actually undoing what's already done manually!

If TalkTalk doesn't like P2P during peak times, then to avoid accidentally having it enabled during peak times you can configure µTorrent's Scheduler to disable it...in the rare times you forget and leave it running.

I didn't manually forward the port (that i'm aware of!) i didn't do anything with ports when i first set up Utorrent, but i happened to notice the port test this week while trying out stuff to help my speed issues so i tried it and it was OK.

My upload speed isn't even reaching the limit most of the time, occasionally it does but it generally used to always be at it's max.

Some of my settings, in case it helps:

Max Upload 23k

Global Max Connections: 130

Max No. of Connected Peers per Torrent:70

No. Upload slots per torrent:3

Use additional U/L slots if U/L speed is <90%: checked

Protocol Encryption: enabled (tried turning to forced but didn't seem to help)

Max No. Active Torrents Upload/Download:3

Max Active Downloads:2

UPnP mapping: disabled

DHT enabled

At this time (5.45pm) my upload's been about 9k for about the last hour (since i got home from work)

My download speed is between 1k - 6k - downloading 2 torrents -one with 14(47) seeds, 8(64)peers, and one with 27(162)seeds, 23(2670)peers. Both have active trackers - if that makes a difference??

DHT says 0 Nodes or Waiting to Login, it changes.

Green Circle at bottom

Any ideas?

Sorry for being a bit stupid with all this, like i said, quite new to it all!

Just remembered, when i first got Utorrent i put the settings to xx/1Mbit cos i didn't realise that you picked your upload speed and my broadband's meant to be 1.1Meg (newbie!)

but i've had the correct settings (with slight changes) - xx/256k - since my speeds went bad because i actually READ the instructions!!

(don't know if that means anything or just makes me look dumb!) :D

Try these settings, they may help.

23 kB/s max upload speed.

0 kB/s download speed.

2 max upload slots per torrent.

77 max number of connections per torrent.

129 max number of connections globally.

2 max simultaneous downloads.

2 max active torrents.

Hope this helps!

Another 2 cents, not going to hurt, may reverse at any time.

It was recommended on other forums long time ago. Set your upload speed while d/l to about 15 and see what happened (I estimated to my knowledge). Remember, you have quite slow upload, so if you are on private tracker, you need get your ratio up ASAP. My idea is double sided. First of all, by throttling your upload speed during d/l you increase your d/l speed (no one can say it is wrong, you just need to practice with the numbers and see which one is right for you), second, as soon as you finish your d/l you will go into upload mode and get your ratio back. With no downloads around play with numbers to increase your upload speed to max.

Last thing to say. Utorrent has some overhead on bandwith, so don't try to reach your tested speeds (about 10% overhead or so).

hope this helps.

Hey, tried both suggestions (Sh0X, kisianic) niether seemed to help!

Still averaging 3k D/l, Don't want 90k Downloads, just enough to finish a torrent in within a day!

Upload still 3k average as well!

Even tried limiting download to 80k to give it a goal to work towards!!! :)

Also tried downloading a couple of the recommended test torrents (open office etc.) and their speed was slow as well.

hi, tried putting upload to 10k limit, didn't help, gave it about half an hour to kick in. (should this be long enough?)

Utorrent's been running for about an hour since before 7 pm when i got home, (i'm putting it on only when i'm in to watch how it's doing!) my up or down speeds haven't gone past 0.2kB/s and that was for about 5 seconds!!

Anyone think uninstalling and reinstalling might help? (hey, i'm desperate now!)

Thanks

I hope this is what you meant, i had to google process viewer cos i didn't even know what it was!

I have read another post where someone put one of these on and i think you commented on the iPod stuff and Quicktime etc. I don't have QT running right now, don't use it actually, think it comes with iTunes?

Like i said, quite new with computers!

alg.exe 3572 C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe Application Layer Gateway Service 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

AOLSoftware.exe 188 C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1142813860\ee\AOLSoftware.exe AOL 1.4.12.1. © 2005 America Online, Inc.

bcmwltry.exe 1588 C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller 3.100.41.0. 1998-2004, Dell Inc All Rights Reserved.

csrss.exe 756 C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe Client Server Runtime Process 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ctfmon.exe 1304 C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe CTF Loader 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

DLACTRLW.EXE 1508 C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE Drive Letter Access Component Copyright © 2004 Sonic Solutions

DLG.exe 2224 C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe Digital Line Detection 1, 0, 0, 1. Copyright © 2003

Dragdiag.exe 284 C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe SpeedTouch Statistics 301.0.0.12. Copyright© THOMSON Telecom Belgium 1999-2004

DSAgnt.exe 612 C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe Dell Support 1, 1, 0, 73. Copyright © 2000 - 2004 Gteko Ltd.

Explorer.EXE 1760 C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE Windows Explorer 6.00.2900.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

hkcmd.exe 732 C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe hkcmd Module 7.0.0.4410. Copyright 1999-2004, Intel Corporation

hpqSTE08.exe 3856 C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe HP CUE Status 053.000.013.000. Copyright © Hewlett-Packard Co. 1995-2004

hpqtra08.exe 2320 C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe HP Digital Imaging Monitor 053.000.013.000. Copyright © Hewlett-Packard Co. 1995-2004

HPWuSchd2.exe 236 C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe Hewlett-Packard Product Assistant 053.000.013.000. Copyright © Hewlett-Packard Co. 1995-2004

iexplore.exe 2652 C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Internet Explorer 7.00.5730.11. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

igfxpers.exe 760 C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe persistence Module 7.0.0.4410. Copyright 1999-2004, Intel Corporation

igfxsrvc.exe 960 C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe igfxsrvc Module 7.0.0.4410. Copyright 1999-2004, Intel Corporation

iPodService.exe 3276 C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe iPodService Module 7.0.2.16. © 2003-2006 Apple Computer, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

issch.exe 1264 C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe InstallShield Update Service Scheduler 4, 50. Copyright © 1990-2004 InstallShield Software Corporation

iTunesHelper.exe 1224 C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe iTunesHelper Module 7.0.2.16. © 2003-2006 Apple Computer, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

jusched.exe 1668 C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe Java 2 Platform Standard Edition binary 5.0.60.5. Copyright © 2004

lsass.exe 836 C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe LSA Shell (Export Version) 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

mcagent.exe 268 c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe McAfee SecurityCenter Agent 6, 0, 0, 0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc.

mcdetect.exe 1916 c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe McAfee WSC Integration Service 6, 0, 0, 0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc.

mcshield.exe 1948 c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe On-Access Scanner service Copyright© 1995-2005 McAfee Inc. All Rights Reserved.

mctskshd.exe 1980 c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe McAfee Task Scheduler 6, 0, 0, 0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc.

mcvsescn.exe 144 c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe McAfee VirusScan E-mail Scan Module 10, 0, 0, 0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

mcvsftsn.exe 2752 c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe McAfee VirusScan Instant Messenger Scan Module 10, 0, 0, 0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

mcvsshld.exe 116 c:\program files\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe McAfee VirusScan ActiveShield Resource 10, 0, 0, 0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

MediaDetect.exe 1380 C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Photo Album 6\MediaDetect.exe Corel Photo Album 6 Application 6.3.3 (20060209.16). Copyright © 1995-2005

MpfAgent.exe 4028 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe McAfee Personal Firewall Agent Interface 7.1.0.113. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

MpfService.exe 280 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe McAfee Personal Firewall Service 7.1.0.113. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

MpfTray.exe 1640 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe McAfee Personal Firewall Tray Monitor 7.1.0.113. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

mscifapp.exe 568 C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe McAfee Privacy Service 8.1.0.136. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc.

All rights reserved

MskAgent.exe 1544 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe McAfee SpamKiller Agent Interface module 7.0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc.

MSKSrvr.exe 564 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe McAfee SpamKiller Server 7.0. Copyright © 2005, McAfee Inc.

msmsgs.exe 648 C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe Windows Messenger Version 4.7.3001. Copyright © Microsoft Corporation 2004

netWaiting.exe 624 C:\Program Files\NetWaiting\netWaiting.exe netWaiting.exe

NICCONFIGSVC.exe 328 C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe Internal Network Card Power Management Service 1, 0, 0, 1. Copyright © 2004 Dell Inc.

OasClnt.exe 2016 c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\OasClnt.exe McAfee VirusScan OAS Client 10, 0, 0, 0. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

PrcView.exe 1908 C:\Documents and Settings\NATALIE CHAPPELL\My Documents\Software files\PrcView\PrcView.exe Process Viewer Application 3.7.3.1. Developed by Igor Nys, 1995-2003

qttask.exe 1328 C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe QuickTime Task QuickTime 7.1.3. Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 1989-2006

Quickset.exe 1688 C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\Quickset.exe QuickSet MFC Application 0, 5, 5, 0. Copyright © 2001

realsched.exe 456 C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe RealNetworks Scheduler 0.1.0.3510. Copyright © RealNetworks, Inc. 1995-2004

services.exe 824 C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe Services and Controller app 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

smss.exe 672 C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe Windows NT Session Manager 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

spoolsv.exe 1748 C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe Spooler SubSystem App 5.1.2600.2696. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

stsystra.exe 1008 C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe Sigmatel Audio system tray application 1.0.4717.0 nd286 cp1. Copyright © 2004-2005, SigmaTel, Inc.

svchost.exe 1000 C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Generic Host Process for Win32 Services 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

svchost.exe 1060 C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Generic Host Process for Win32 Services 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

svchost.exe 1108 C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe Generic Host Process for Win32 Services 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

svchost.exe 1156 C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Generic Host Process for Win32 Services 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

svchost.exe 1340 C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Generic Host Process for Win32 Services 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

svchost.exe 3028 C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Generic Host Process for Win32 Services 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

SynTPEnh.exe 1208 C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements 8.2.4.3 29Nov05. Copyright © Synaptics, Inc. 1996-2005

utorrent.exe 2404 C:\Program Files\utorrent\utorrent.exe utorrent.exe

winlogon.exe 780 C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe Windows NT Logon Application 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

WLTRAY.exe 1136 C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Tray Applet 3.100.41.0. 1998-2004, Dell Inc All Rights Reserved.

wltrysvc.exe 1576 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe wltrysvc.exe

wmiprvse.exe 2792 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe WMI 5.1.2600.2180. © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

YahooWidgetEngine.exe 2456 C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Widget Engine\YahooWidgetEngine.exe Yahoo! Widget Engine 3.1.4. Copyright © 2004-2006 Yahoo! Inc.

ymsgr_tray.exe 2548 C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe ymsgr_tray.exe

Looks like McAfee is the cause. Whether you thought you disabled the firewall or not, it almost looks like it's still running:

MpfAgent.exe 4028 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe McAfee Personal Firewall Agent Interface 7.1.0.113. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

MpfService.exe 280 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe McAfee Personal Firewall Service 7.1.0.113. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

MpfTray.exe 1640 C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe McAfee Personal Firewall Tray Monitor 7.1.0.113. Copyright © 2005 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I have Utorrent listed as "allow full access" and i've always had McAfee and U torrent worked fine when i first got it.

My speed will go higher sometimes eg. today i had dl speed of 22k for about half an hour but it was from one peer (i was also seeding to that person at around 10k)

Does this mean it's just the peers/seeders that i'm connecting to that are causing the low speeds?

Mostly in the peer list there will be plenty of seeders but im generally downloading at less than 1kB/s from any of them and that's the ones that i'm getting anything from!

I know the speeds do depend on the health of the torrent but is it normal to have 40 seeds supposedly connected but to only be downloading from 4 or 5?

Thanks again.

Yes, it is normal to be connected to lots of seeds but only downloading from a few of them at any given moment. They have upload slot per torrent limitations too.

Despite appearances, McAfee is probably misconfigured...only allowing an older version of µTorrent full internet access. Try deleting all referances of µTorrent in McAfee and letting McAfee reset its settings when you re-run µTorrent.

nat,

I've been having exactly the same problem as you over the last week. I don't think it's anything to do with McAfee(which I also have installed) and everything to do with Talk Talk throttling P2P. I've left my connection on day and night to try and work out when I might be able to download. My speed peaks at 5.0kb but tends to average less than 1.0 kb. Encryption seems to have helped very little.

I'll be watching this forum with interest.

Tried deleting the rule in McAfee, restarted UTorrent and it just automatically recreated the allow full access rule in McAfee, if doesn't even ask me to choose. Either way, i've only had one version of Utorrent, never upgraded or anything, so think it probably had access all along.(esp. since i managed 22kB/s from one peer for a while)

Like i said, i understand speed variations according to no. of seeds etc. it just seems to be a very drastic drop in speed for what are very similar torrents to the ones i've been downloading weekly for the last couple of months.

Transaction - I presume you also have TalkTalk?

Are you also seeing slower uploads (with occasional times at max rate)?

I would expect TT to contact me if they were unhappy with my usage before doing anything about it as it is mentioned in their terms and Cond's that they let you know if they think you aren't using the broadband fairly and give you a chance to change your ways!! : )

Oh Well, i suppose taking a week or more to D/L a 349MB torrent is better that not getting it at all!! (she said whilst sobbing over her laptop!) :D

Thanks for trying Switeck, much appreciated.

This program's is pretty bad for upload speed, only used it becuase I couldn't download one torrent with bittornado because of a fault with the torrent. Tried downloading 6 torrents usually get 60KBps upload speed and with this programs I am lucky to get 30KBps. That means I'm losing half of my upload!! At that rate my ratio would be well below 1 in a matter of days.

Tried also changing all the settings nothing worked, you shouldn't have to change settings, it should just work.

There's better programs out there than this where you will get full upload speeds. Find them, if your not bothered about giving back what you take I suppose it's a good client.

Funny how a bunch of people are able to max their upload speeds out easily with µTorrent. My suggestion? Take his opinion with a grain of salt. Why? His trolling comment about how µTorrent is a client for leechers.

... if your not bothered about giving back what you take I suppose it's a good client.

Hi all i am new to this ...i wanted to know the best settings for my situation..Using Utorrent 1.6

I ran the speed test at speakeasy.....D/L - 6726 kbps......U/L - 430, I am not connected to a router or dsl, I am using a WiFi access to my local free site near me......I dont have a firewall installed....I have Norton 2000 a/v software.....what would be my best set up for my case....thanks alot

The amount of money it costs TalkTalk to make 1 phonecall to you may be as much or more than the extra cost of all your used bandwidth beyond the "typical user amount". So don't expect your phone to ring. This is something you have to call them about, and they hope you're too lazy to do so because that costs them money.

I still want to hope it's just something on your computer...but it'd require a fresh reinstall of windows, minus a LOT of the normal extras, to rule out the ISP completely as the cause of the problems.

Can a friend bring over a computer or laptop to test on your connection?

I havent change any setings but my torrent downloads speed using talktalk today is at about 70 kB/s. Way better than normal 5 kB/s normally. I also noticed that one particular torrent gave me excellent speed when the person I'm downloading from using port 80. I wonder if everyone using port 80, we might overcome this throttling problem....

Archived