Memory usage?

absent

Hey, nice client. I have no dl speed problems, however the memory usage is through the roof. I have a gig of ram, with around 720-770 megs free at most (since I run a lot of shit). When using uTorrent, my free ram drops to around 510 megs after it's on for a night (9 hours or so). Here are some screens

utorrent-1.jpg

Memory usage after running uTorrent through the night

utorrent-2.jpg

Memory usage directly after shutting down uTorrent

What gives?

well the difference between this and the other torrent clients is mainly in the RAM usage. here everything about disk caching is let to windows itself. so you may see that µtorrent is using 2-4MB but windows actually uses more RAM for caching. the difference is that when you need this RAM windows can free it up. in the other clients its boud to the program executable.

P.S. after closing µtorrent I freed up more than 80MB so try for yourself

Guest: it is uTorrent... hence the screenshots to prove it.

bgeek560: The difference between 80megs and 251megs is considerable... Freeram XP Pro can not free this used ram: thus it limits my gaming and such... which is why I tried uTorrent in the first place: to be able to dl files and play games at the same time (since my time on the computer is limited).

Waiting for an official response. :arrow:

I got a weird memory usage problem with uTorrent today:

utorrent_memory.png

This was after I had opened a torrent file that had an erroneous extra space character in front of the announce url. I removed the torrent and started editing the file to fix it when the error message popped up. If I clicked OK I got the same message again, of course, so I had to kill the uTorrent process. I could not reproduce this problem.

Archived