No Uploads. Not behind a firewall, everything says its working.

bumjubeo

Hey, so im using µtorrent 1.6, XP SP2, and everything says its a-ok.

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 50648 on 68.144.60.11...

OK! Port 50648 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

That is the response no matter what port I have selected. Everytime I change the port number the error I get in the log is "Unable to map UPnP port."

Usually there is no red x, yellow exclaimation point, or green check. However every once and a while, the yellow exclaimation point will appear, not that often however. Normally it has nothing in that spot. I know for a fact that some of the torrents have leechers that I am the only seed for, and it should be uploading.

I think thats about as descriptive as I can get :) If I missed anything, I can add it! Thanks in advance for any help.

*edit*

Thought of something else, windows firewall is turned off as well. Not behind a router, my computer plugs straight into my ISP's cable modem.

if you have no router and if the portchecker says you are connectable then you a) don't need UPnP and B) can simply ignore that error message.

(if you untick the UpnP box in the preferences you will also don't see it anymore :-)

btw. you should NOT be without at least the protection of the xp own firewall if you have nothing else to filter packets. µt can add itself flawlessly to the exception list of the xp own firewall. so just kkep it running, it will not hurt.

Okay, I run no firewall because I have editited my hosts file, and I did edit the hosts file correctly to work with utorrent. Either way I just attempted to download a more active torrent, and it uploads and downloads just fine, so I dont know whats going on, but it appears to be fine, regardless of the errors popping up all over the place :)

a) a hosts file helps you in which way against incomming malicious IP packets?

B) it uploads and downlaods jsut fine because there is nothing between your computer and the Internet that blocks µT's ability to recieve incomming connections.

c) the error pops up, because µT has no device in front of itself that acts as a blockage where it could use its UPnP features to circumvent that blockage.

(If you have intentionally no noisy children you would not call it an error that your wife told you you have no children. Thats what µT is doing; telling you he can not circumvent something because that something is not there in the first place to be circumvented. That's why you untick that box when it can not serve any purpose!)

No error, nothing wrong! (except that you are totally unprotected against malicious attackers if you have no incomming packets filter or NAT device that blocks unrequested packets from reaching the ports of your machine)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/support/upnp01.mspx

Archived