Downloads won't start.

spenc938

I recently built two new computers and set up a home network. When I got the additional two I did a hard drive wipe on the original. Now utorrent no longer works. The torrents get put on the list but they never start downloading. When I originally put utorrent on the first computer about a year ago it worked great with no problems, now it won't work on any of them. I heard about port forwarding and followed the instructions listed at portforward.com and it didn't help.

Can anyone help me?

Note: The original computer is XP Home, the new two are both X64.

My modem/router is Actiontec GT701 WG

What firewall, antivirus, and "security suite" programs are on your computer?

What about game copy protections?

What other programs at least occassionaly access the internet to run updates or in the course of their regular activities?

What's your ISP?

What speed is your connection down AND up?

What settings are you using in µTorrent, as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?

Any one of these things I'm asking for may be KEY in solving the problem, so without alot of information we can only make wild guesses.

That speed guide setting is a tiny bit too high for your connection -- either lower the upload speed to about 70 KB/sec or use the xx/640k or xx/768k setting instead which closer matches your upload speed...assuming your ISP doesn't throttle BitTorrent traffic much lower.

Have you done any GOOGLE (or other search engine) searches for Qwest.net blocking/throttling/problems/interfering with BitTorrent?

If you've installed alot (10+?) of commercial games, each one typically installs DLLs/EXEs/other files concerned with preventing copying of the game. With enough games installed, even the operating system is potentially compromised/overloaded.

I checked this guide that I found with a list of ISPs on it that said Qwest sometimes limits Bittorent bandwith, but it has always worked fine. I was using it until just a few weeks ago when I set up the network, now it doesn't work on any of the computers, not even the one that I used to use it on. Also, my brothers computer has grand theft auto on it, but like I said it used to work even with that.

Edit: I looked through the port forwarding guide again and it turns out I missed a step. So I fixed it. It then worked fine. It was going great. I closed the program, opened it again later, and now it won't work again. The status indicator went from green back to yellow. It does tell me how many seeders/peers, but it doesn't actually download. I have tried multiple torrents.

Man...what did you do to fix it? I have Qwest DSL freshly installed. I have the Actiontec GT701 WG modem/router but I had to hook it up to a Linksys WRT54G because the wireless wouldn't work. I forwarded the port in both the modem and the router's settings. I have no firewall, no antivirus. Occasionally something will download, but generally it stays at Unavailable with the red bar. I also have the red exclamation point saying "not connectable" now....but it changes sometimes and lets me download. It will not let me seed anything though.

Archived