OS Matters to Speed?

RedPenguin

This may sound like a silly question but I am curious.

Does your OS matter to dl speeds at all?

Like if you use Windows or use Linux?

The reason I ask is, when I would do a download with a Windows machine on my highly cogested school network, it would hardly download but then a wget dl on a Linux machine was sucking in 100-200kb/s, what on Earth? Yes I know these results have nothing to do with torrents but just to give you all an idea what I am talking about.

So does the OS really matter?

Unless you have an absolutely terrific reason to be running a large number of torrents simultaneously (and you most likely don't), you should be sticking to the numbers provided by the Speed Guide, and avoid forcing torrents to start if at all unnecessary.

And yes, starting a large number of torrents can potentially harm your speed, since you're spreading your upload speeds extremely thin.

If you are running a lot of torrents at once, you can just enable the don't count slow upload and download torrent option in advanced settings while still keeping your "normal" max active seeding and download torrents value low.

That way, only the seeding torrents that actually have peers on them which are downloading from you faster than 1 KB/sec count against your max torrent limit.

Watch out that you don't end up with so many torrents that your upload is split less than 1 KB/sec PER busy torrent though!

Archived