Share Ratio

redskins100

Make sure you're not overloading your upload side with a too-high upload speed.

Even 1-5 KB/sec below theoretical max can give you 2-10x the download speed of otherwise.

Sharing too many torrents at once is bad because people can't get much from you. It's like offering...and then giving nearly nothing. Best to have at least 3 if not 6+ KB/sec upload speed PER torrent running. Absolute minimum is 1 KB/sec upload speed per upload slot per torrent.

To get decent download speeds in return, having 3-10 KB/sec per upload slot is much better. Any higher and they probably cannot upload that fast back to you. :D

What? None of the last two posts made any sense :P

Share ratio isn't a setting, it's an amount of you giving back versus downloading! Your download speed is directly based on what is available from other people - unless you're saturating your upload without a manager like cFosSpeed or a "booster". If you don't have one, your upload limit should be set using the speed guide. If there aren't many seeds on a torrent, you'll get crappy download speeds because those seeders are too busy sending to everyone else.

As far as stopping torrents because they're not getting enough speed, that's rubbish. I usually have everything I've ever downloaded still in uTorrent seeding constantly. There aren't many peers though, so only one or two get "started" for a while, at full speed, until that peer's done downloading, and it goes back to zero. I stay considered a "seed" so the torrent stays alive. Even if you do have a full page of torrents running and uploading, it's BETTER THAN HAVING IT STOPPED. At least you're there to provide what you can at any time. That's proper manners. If they're downloading slow, at least they're getting it, as opposed to you not being there at all, and them having to look elsewhere...

Falcon4, if you have 20 seeding torrents going and they ALL have active peers on them then you cannot mantain a reasonable upload rate to each unless you have a very fast upload speed or your upload slots set all the way down to 1 or 2. It even breaks compatibility with the BitTorrent protocol, as your advertising of parts available can end up eating more of your upload bandwidth than your actual uploading of parts.

A seed that's only uploading at <0.3 KB/sec to you is of very marginal value, especially with piece size of 2 MB or more. The seed "gives up" on a particular piece before it successfully uploads, so you end up with lots of unfinished pieces that cannot be shared. You have to hope there's a REAL seed on the torrent to have a reasonable chance of completing it. BitComet is notorious for this due to its VERY poor upload slot handling. It can be configured to do much better, but most people don't know to do this.

Note: You CAN set advanced settings to not count slow seeding and downloading torrents towards your max so the problems I'm talking about are minimized.

Archived