uTorrent cripples any other Internet-using program.

ndnxtc

Hi all,

I'm a longtime uTorrent user with SBC DSL, and recently have had a problem arise with it. My configuration is this: Modem -> Linksys WRT54G v5 (with DD-WRT mini) -> wireless signal to my laptop. Whenever I have uTorrent running in the background using any bandwidth at all, it seems like any web browsing I do comes to a creep. This is the case even when I have the upload capped at 10 kb/s and it's not downloading anything. I have all ports forwarded correctly. Usually my download speed is a constant 2.4Mbps, so I should not be having problems with web browsing. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I just disabled DHT and it did not seem to help. My global maximum number of connections is set at 80. If I set it at 4 will it impede performance greatly?

It also seems that somehow uTorrent is affecting my LAN speeds... i.e. it takes a while just to get into my router configuration page. When it is not running, it's just as fast as any LAN connection.

I've got the exact same problem.

The instant I start µTorrent, the entire network to and from my computer comes to a virtually complete standstill.

I recently reinstalled my entire computer to update Windows to SP2, and had 0 problems on SP1 before.

using:

µTorrent 1.6 build 474

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.1.411

PeerGuardian2.0 Beta 6b

It might be related to Kaspersky Internet Security. I didn't have these locks last time and besides the SP2 the kaspersky version is the only one changed. Also, closing kaspersky down (really exit, not halting the protection) seems to get the ball rolling again.

• 1 month later...

Archived