Odd bug

Jesse

Not exactly sure how to explain it, but it seems UT seems to freeze up my hard disks.

Symptoms: often when remotely connected to my home computer (generally from work) I will lose connection, as if my net went down. Shortly after, I will then reconnect to remote desktop to see my instant messengers have d/c'd then reconnected. Now, if UT is closed, this never happens. And my bandwidth is not the issue, for I have them capped accordingly.

The odd thing is, I didn't really know what was happening until tonight. I'm using my desktop PC from my laptop (remotely) and lost connection from remote desktop as stated above. Now, the hard drives seem to go silent, as if no writing/reading is being done. However, after a moment or two, they will start read/writing again, and bam, I can reconect via remote desktop. This tells me, its probably not even a network issue, but perhaps a disk issue, perhaps a conflict with UT. I have been trying to 100% isolate the cause of this problem, but have had little luck so far. It may have something to do with multiple torrents running at the same time, but I'm not sure about that.

I will continue to try to isolate the problem, and post if I find anything that may prove beneficial to its elimination.

As for the questions that will follow, I run a 3700xp system with 74gb raptors in a raid0 array. So, read/write speed most likely isn't the issue.

Aside from this, I support UT 100%. And even with this issue, I will continue to use it. :)

My utorrent (1.1.7.2) has also started freezing, but only when i try and load p!r@tebay torrents??

All other torrents work fine.

The torrents that are making utorrent non-responsive do connect with bittornado though.

Could p!r@tebay have blocked utorrent?

edit - p!r@tebay torrents arent crashing it now, but only if I dont press anything in the GUI for about 5 minutes - other torrents start up instantly so I think there is something wrong still

edit - i've posted this in the wrong topic (bleary morning eyesight !!!)

Well mine does this usually when I have a few torrents running. So I've been just shutting it off when I need to use my comp for other things remotely, and then turn it back on after.

But I use uTorrent on a different computer (work one, with remote access to it as well) that doesn't seem to have this issue. So I am thinking it might be unique to my home computer. However, I don't really like the idea of formatting again, but it might be the final solution.

Okay so I now am pretty sure it's not uTorrent's fault, but it does have to do with Bit Torrent. I just started using Azureus to see if it would do the same thing, and it did.

I think it might be related to my raid array, but I'm not positive. If anyone has any input, do speak up :)

Archived