Codec cleanup?

Raffles

According to GSpot, there are 149 codecs installed on my computer. I recently uninstalled everything to do with video playback except for VLC (and WMP, but I never use it except for when it's embedded in web pages).

I doubt I really need those 149, especially since pretty much everything I play is either Xvid or DivX, and the occasional WMV. I can't find a reliable way to clean all the crap up. I'm aware that there are codecs (.ax files) and DirectShow filters, though I don't really know much about what the difference is between those.

How can I get rid of the codecs I don't need/want? Thanks in advance for any help.

I suppose all the media players I've installed at some point have left them behind. Nero installed two, QuickTime about 30. In Gspot you can see a list of them, most of them I've never even heard of, like Autodesk Animator Codec, Aware Motion Wavelets or BitJazz SheerVideo.

Well, I used a program called DirectShow Filter Manager to remove all the filters. Then I deleted all the .ax files in System32. The ones windows 'needs' just come back, so it's not a problem. VLC still plays anything I throw at it, so it's all good. Gspot still claims I have 100 codecs, no idea where they live though.

Archived