Rangemax Next Router + Rangemax Next USB Adapter = ISSUES

geminibros

Hi all... I'm new to these forums but not to uTorrent. I've been a faithful supporter for some time; definitely the best client I've found. I just recently changed up my wireless internet setup. I used to use an AirPort Express router (which died) and a Dell wireless-G USB adapter (I think model#8150); now I have a Netgear WNR834B router with a Netgear WN121T USB adapter attached to my uTorrent PC. I'm experiencing a number of issues which I'm guessing (hoping) are in some way tied together and I was hoping I might get some help here.

Whenever I have uTorrent open, my Internet slows to a crawl. I've tried lowering the transfer settings, but that doesn't do it. Further, the upload/download speeds in uTorrent are FAR lower than I used to get with the AirPort. I know this isn't the place for speed issues, but I'm just trying to provide the whole picture. The worst issue, however, is that when I leave uTorrent open for some unspecified period of time (usually more than 10 minutes, I think, but definitely less than an hour) the Internet just goes bye-bye completely. Windows tells me I'm still connected to my network, but otherwise it's nonfunctional. That pretty much sums it up. Here's the pertinent info for my setup:

Windows XP

P4 3.2GHz / 1 GB RAM

Optimum Online ISP

I have the necessary ports forwarded through the router as well as through NIS (two rules for uTorrent - inbound and outbound).

My PC is set up with a static IP on the network.

Other than this, all software and hardware is at its default settings. Turning off uTorrent (before the Internet disappears; when that happens, I need to reset the connection) brings my connection back to full speed. I've tried to fiddle with the DSLReports test in Speed Guide, but when I adjust my upload setting to match the speed test setting, the slowdowns get worse and the 'Net drops quicker. I'm self-taught with all of this stuff, so my knowledge of wireless networking is scattered into bits and pieces. Any and all help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance... I'm staying tuned!

EDIT: I've fiddled around a bit more and found that if I turn on uTorrent at all and then turn it off, my connection will still cease functioning after a certain amount of time. Also, when I try to test my fowarded port's status in Speed Guide, I get a "Path '[port number]' does not exist" error (though I'm pretty sure the port is fwded properly). Thanks.

<<What about DHT, UPnP, and ip resolving in µTorrent?

Have you tried disabling them?>>

Check on DHT and UPnP - nothing there. IP resolving? Is that the same as protocol encryption (which I have enabled)?

<<Exactly how fast has your connection been tested as, both up and down?

What are the other settings you're using in µTorrent as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?>>

The DSLReports speed test rated me at a 14000 Kb/sec d/l speed (roughly) and a 100 Kb/sec u/l speed. I've actually completely disconnected the Netgear hardware and replaced my old Airport Express router with a new one (plus, I'm back to the Dell 1450 adapter). I still haven't returned the Netgear stuff though, and I'm game to give this another shot if it's really worth it (I'm guessing it is... to go from G to N?). Though maybe the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage ought to prevail here.

I'm now back to averaging 100+ kB/s d/l speeds in uTorrent with my Airport, all while webpages load at a very acceptable speed. There are infrequent drops in my transfer speeds in uTorrent now, but I never monitored my old setup this closely so for all I know it was like that before as well. DSLReports rates me now at 2654 Kb/s d/l and 89 Kb/s u/l with a 117ms latency (whatever that is). My current settings in Speed Guide are:

45 Kb/s upload limit

50 connections per torrent

4 max active torrents

3 upload slots

150 global connections

3 max active downloads

(note: my speed settings with the Netgear were all over the place, as I adjusted it frequently to see if the cause of the problem might be there)

I do have the TCPIP.SYS SP2 patch installed, with the number for that set to 75. I have a suspicion that my issues may have been caused all along by straight-up interference. I'm in an urban neighborhood with many possible sources of trouble around me. When I first connected the new AX, I was having similar problems with web pages loading and uTorrent reaching optimal d/l & u/l speeds. Just as I had it in my last one, I actually dialed down the transmitter power of the router from 100% to 50% and my troubles vanished. There are no such power settings that I could find for the Netgear router, but I kind of figured it was a much newer router and, as such, it would have better filters for interference. Thanks very much for writing back... like I said, I'm still game to give the wireless-N thing a go (speed is, after all, a wonderful thing when you've embraced the Bittorrent).

Okay... I'm actually going to jump this thread over to the speed problems folder, since I've abandoned the Netgear N setup AND the AirPort Express setup (my PC is wired directly through a Netgear Rangemax G router now and the problems mainly relate to speed). Thanks again for the assistance... wireless networking sure isn't easy.

Are you actually reaching and *sustaining* the upload speed max you set in µTorrent?

(Spiking to 45 KB/sec and then falling below 30 KB/sec is a *BAD* sign!)

UPnP and DHT settings in µTorrent are just checkboxes. For your testing purposes, they need to be unchecked.

IP resolving:

In the PEERS tab window at the lower part of µTorrent, RIGHT click inside that window on one of the peers/seeds and in the drop-down menu that appears make sure Resolve IPs is disabled.

"The DSLReports speed test rated me at a 14000 Kb/sec d/l speed (roughly) and a 100 Kb/sec u/l speed."

"DSLReports rates me now at 2654 Kb/s d/l and 89 Kb/s u/l with a 117ms latency (whatever that is)."

If you're only measuring upload speeds of 100 kilobits/sec, then you won't be able to sustain an upload speed of more than about 12 KILOBYTES/sec in µTorrent.

Latency is your pingtimes. It's how long it takes to send AND receive a reply back from somewhere on the internet. 117ms is 117/1000ths of a second -- or a little more than 1/10th a second. Pretty good, but still potentially noticable in first-person shooter/fast-action multiplayer online games.

Archived