custom setting for... 1000kbps download and 365kbps upload

yummy

okay, so i just downloaded utorrent for korean drama downloads at daddicts... who cares right? anyways, i downloaded utorrent and did a speed test finding out that i can download at 1032 kbps and upload at 365 kbps. pretty good eh. so what im wondering is what do i need to change my settings to in order to get super speeds to be able to download in seconds? just kidding, but really, can anyone help me set my preferences to make me download at optimal speeds based on MY internet speed. im downloading at such slow rates. its taking me a week to download one show. your help will be much appreciated!

The closest Speed Guide (CTRL+G) setting to your connection is xx/384k (your upload at 365kbps is close to that), but you may need to reduce upload speed by up to 4 KB/sec.

I personally think better results can come from lower global connections and connections per torrent than the speed guide settings at least for lower-end interent lines, and certainly with no more than 8 half open connections max.

[no need for all that quoting]

okay, cool. i appreciate the reply and everything but i dont know how to use the advice. im a super noob and i dont know what any of that stuff means. can anyone tell me exactly how to apply those numbers into my settings? it would be much appreciated. im still downloading at super slow speeds.

Speed Guide (CTRL+G) is part of µTorrent. For "Connection Type:" just choose xx/384k and leave it. That should be close enough to your connection to work ok.

If your downloads and uploads are still slow, you probably have OTHER problems...and you'll need to fix the problems outside of µTorrent to make µTorrent work correctly.

Barring that, some torrents will just be slow for EVERYBODY. They depend on the kindness of others. So if you aren't connecting to any seeds and there's only other peers that want to download from you then you may not be able to finish downloading that torrent.

Switeck! awesome awesome awesome! my speed jumped up. now im downloading at around 18-20kb. not much, but its better than the 1-2kbp i was downloading at before.

i was wondering about what you said here though:

"I personally think better results can come from lower global connections and connections per torrent than the speed guide settings at least for lower-end interent lines, and certainly with no more than 8 half open connections max."

what number should i put in for global connections and connections per torrent? i have 230 and 80 and the number of upload slots, i have 4.

and for the global maximum download rate i put 1000kbps. is that fine? or should i put it at 0 for unlimited?

You'll probably be better off with download max left to 0 (unlimited).

Do note that µTorrent's download and upload speeds are in kilobytes/sec while bandwidth is measured in kilobits/sec...and it takes about 8.5-12 kilobits of bandwidth for every kilobyte downloaded (or uploaded).

Try 100 global connections and 40 connections per torrent. This is less than half the recommended max global connections, but it probably will help slightly as you should still be getting enough connections to max out your download and upload. (...or would barring a slow torrent and/or other problems!)

Some ISPs worldwide demand that their customers don't have more than 40 connections at once. This is a real challenge for BitTorrent file-sharing, however if that was the case for you then you could still do 1 torrent at a time with maybe 25 connections max.

You can leave upload slots to 4...or even raise it to 5 or 6 if you almost always only have 1 or 2 torrents going at a time. It's important for each upload slot over ALL your active torrents to get at least 1 KB/sec upload speed...and better if each upload slot gets 3-5 KB/sec upload speed. So if you had 3 torrents active with 4 upload slots each, that's 12 ways your upload speed gets split. With the xx/384k setting in speed guide, your upload speed gets set to 35 KB/sec which gives almost 3 KB/sec to each of the 12 total upload slots.

Archived