connection type

rfox287

I'm a new user, and i have the same problem i have 8mbit connection and i wasnt sure what to put, i have tried both the 2mbit and 10mbit speeds and it works fine for both for me. At the moment i have it set on 10 just because that seems to be the one that works fastest for me.

Your connection's download speed may be 5 megabits/sec, but your upload speed is probably 1/10th (or less!) of that.

By trying to use settings made for upload speeds potentially 20+ times what you have, you're throwing away huge amounts of download speed and giving back worse upload speeds in return than you could otherwise.

High priority over normal (or low) priority just means that active torrent will "hog" your bandwidth from other torrents you're running...if anything the total results may be even slower.

@torrero: Wrong. This is at *least* the second time I've seen you make this exact same mistake (and the other time, Firon sorta corrected you). You absolutely can't determine the upload rate from the download rate. I pay for a 5mbit/s down speed; can you really tell me that xx/640k will match my 384kbit/s up speed?

You do NOT pick a Speed Guide setting by dividing your download rate by 8 -- you pick it by testing your connection's upload speed and selecting the closest setting.

As a very weak general rule, ADSL lines tend to have more upload bandwidth than cable lines. However even ADSL 2+ lines almost never have more than 1 megabit/sec upload...and may be considerably less if they're far from their central office.

About the only thing you can consistantly know the upload speed for is either single or dual ISDN. The single is 64 kilobits/sec up and down, while the dual is 128 kilobits/sec up and down. Pretty slow really, compared to even low-end broadband connections...however that may be all that's available far from a city, other than a satellite connection which is crap for realtime games (due to latency) or downloading/uploading on BitTorrent (because they're permanently NATed.) Satellite ISP connections almost always have low upload speeds as well -- like 64 kilobits/sec or LESS.

Like Ultima said, just knowing your download speed tells little to nothing about your upload speed. Well, besides the fact that your upload bandwidth is almost certainly NOT going to be greater than your download bandwidth...unless something's severely messed up with your line!

@torrero: Nah, don't get me wrong, I know you were trying to help, and am not really pinning any blame on you :) The thing is, generalizations like that can do much more harm than good, so it's best to give proper information instead. But yes, you understand this already, so I'll stop pestering you :P

that whole up to down speed is a touchy thing I think. Some connections are more common than others. For instance , if someone tells me they subscribed to Dsl and had 768kb down I would consider it safe to assume that his up is 128 or MAYBE 256

assuming hes a sheep and not a geek. Unfortunately the problem is the existence of too many variables. As one example just because they say you can get speeds of UP to 8Mb doesnt mean your gonna get it, and chances are that whomever is pitchin ya, if they r worth their salt, knows this also. I know my connection can dl over 1000 a sec but it is far from a common occurence..anyways I was reading the thread and I hate to see people disagree over a matter that technically you both have a point.

Sorry for ramblin..been up 3 days and the delirium is setting in...Ive been reading these boards for hours and have learned quite a bit so I registered for my first ever message board.....and Ive been online for a looooong time. So ty to all whose posts I read and Im kinda lookin forward to communicating over the boards...its all very new to me

bye

Archived