Backup and Auto Recovery

noccy

My comp does some pretty nasty things sometimes. One of them is related to the driver of my PocketPC, which in some cases causes a nasty bluescreen. Two out of the three times this has happened, it has totally wrecked my uTorrent... (It also wiped my bluetooth configuration, as well as my foobar2k config)

Would it be possible to make backups of the configuration and torrent lists on startup and perhaps regularly during the time it's running? If the main uT config is found to be broken at startup and one or more backups are present, the last one that is in good shape could be loaded after prompting the user about this?

I'm sure a badly timed power surge, lightning storm, irresponsible family member, faulty memory, and a lot of other conditions could lead to the same awful loss of configuration. And trust me... Re-adding 30 torrents from the cache, while pointing them to the proper folders (using trial and error) and rechecking it till it works is not fun. Especially since the ratio and stuff is lost in the process.

Cheers

I mean like the way that office does it... If you are working with office (or openoffice for that matter) and it crashes, next time you start it it will tell you that the program crashed and that it can recover your documents. The same, but for torrents and settings. "It appears that uTorrent didn't exit properly last time it was run. As a result, your datafiles have become unreadable. uTorrent will attempt to restore backups of these files".

Something like that :)

i also have this problem, it's caused mostly when there are power blackouts. when the power comes back, windows checks my file system, and sometimes find that utorrents' torrent list and its' backup file are corrupt and deletes them, which requires to me re-do all the work...

from time to time, i manually copy the files to a backup folder, and restore them when there is a problem. but that's not an efficient solution, because i don't always remember to backup my files.

so this feature will be most welcomed by me.... :)

Archived