utorrent 1.6.1 working fine until I moved.

Cohiba

My first post here. I used to get 512 kbps max downloads, now it is capped at about 305 kbps. Uploads have not been affected (80 kbps Max.). I have an ADSL connection (Bell Sympatico High Speed Internet) with a connection speed of 100 Mbps.

I have not touched anything, (firewall, same antivirus Avast!, and O/S). The one and only thing I have done is moved to a new house. I have done a speed test, approximately 1500 kbps down, and 450 kbps up. I am all green at the bottom. Port forwarding ok. Encryption enabled.

I haven't "tweaked" the settings since they were just fine before I moved. My ISP was disconnected for one week while I was moving. I am lost here. Please post any thoughts or ideas. I know I haven't mentioned the OfficeOrg thing here, I would just like to repeat that everything was peachy until I moved. Can moving affect speed? Thanks.

P.S. I defragged my hard drive during the week that I did not have internet, I doubt this means anything, but I just thought I should mention it.

Thanks for the reply. I will perform it and post. Can you please explain why I didn't need to do this before I moved? Really, I only live one block away from my old place, and it has set me back 200 kbps for my downloads. Thanks!

New speed tests: 2373 kbps Down/629 kbps up. I will adjust my settings accordingly. About the ADSL, perhaps I am mistaken. But I am using the same hardware now as I was before I moved, and I was getting 500 kbps+ downloads at that time. Also, in my "status" window, it claims that I am connected at 100 mbps. I thought I had ADSL, am I mistaken? On my modem it is written: Siemans SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem.

629 kbps up is probably close enough to use Speed Guide (CTRL+G) xx/640k setting...since it rounds down the max upload speed so much anyway. If not, xx/512k should work -- barring BitTorrent throttling by your ISP.

You seem to have confused bandwidth speeds (typically in kilobits/sec) for file (or torrent) transfer speeds (typically in KiloBYTES/sec). Otherwise, your earlier test of only "80 kbps Max" upload speed sounds like 80 kilobits/sec...which is very slow for broadband.

Your network speed *TO* your "Siemans SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem" is 100 megabits/sec. Your ADSL modem's speed down and up with the ISP is much lower than that. The "window" to the internet that your ISP gives you can even be slower than your ADSL modem's speed to the ISP.

"Siemans SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem" is a kind of ADSL modem which has both ethernet and USB connectors to join computer/s to it...though probably only ethernet OR USB can be used, not both at once. Siemans is the brand, SpeedStream 4200 is the name and model number. There may be micro-revisions of that model mentioned in fine print on the modem's bottom. It's not uncommon for networking companies to have major changes in a product, call it the same thing, and only change the micro-revision number.

Your new location could be farther from the telephone exchange that your ADSL line hooks into. At longer distances, ADSL speeds (and frequencies) have to be reduced to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high enough. There's also a cutoff point beyond which ADSL lines cannot work at all...and it's only about 7 km (~4.4 miles.) Even by half that distance, roughly half the max bandwidth is lost. Look up Rate Adaptive ADSL for more info -- it's the most common kind of ADSL in use in the USA, where considerable distances from the telephone exchange are often the norm rather than the exception.

First, thanks to everyone for their feedback. I have been reading a few other posts and now I feel kind of bad for whining about only getting 300 kbps downloads, when others are happy if they can reach 100. It's kind of like Bill Gates if he started complaining that his net worth went from $30 billion to only $20 billion. It just bothers me that I am paying the same amount of money to my ISP and getting a slower speed.

Regarding the post above, I can throw a rock and hit my old apartment building, it is about 100 meters away. I don't know if I have moved so far away that it affects downloads so drastically. But then again maybe these telephone wires are hooked up to a exchange, further away. I will call and investigate.

Yes, I was referring to the DL speed in utorrent. Now the numbers make more sense. I think I should have specified that the maximum DL speed in utorrent went from ~515 to ~305. I just tried a different phone jack, and used the OpenOfiice torrent, still no more than 300 kB/s. I will have to contact the phone company.

Try a couple online speed tests again, both up and down.

Also do a couple big web-based downloads from the internet and see about how long they take.

That way, you have more information when you call up your phone company...and they can't just intimidate you with "well...BitTorrent is based on other people's speed and is supposed to be slow!"

Thank you, I will take the advice. I think I have narrowed the problem down to the fact that it is indeed because I moved. Other websites which have forums that specifically discuss my ISP have mentioned a "Central Office Remote". I think I have moved one block over, but to a different CO Remote. One other user kept calling and complaining because they promised him 5MB, and all he could get was 1.7MB. The ISP admitted that their lines had their limits, but they worked with him, gave him a discount, and promised him a speed of 3MB. Since I am at roughly 2.5 (300 kB/s in uTorrent), I'm not sure what they can do for me here. I will keep everyone posted.

Are you guys ready for this? After all I have been through, contacting my provider 5 times, they realized that when I MOVED THEY DID NOT PROPERLY CHANGE MY SERVICE!! Instead of high speed internet, they gave me "lite", which is a lot slower. Instead of confirming that when I originally had the problem, they had me delete my web browser history, check the modem connection (if it is not connected, I wouldn't have any speed at all!!), and I was running around using different phone jacks and disconnecting my phones. They tried that with me again today and I lost it. I told them the problem lies with them, not me, and I don't need to get the phone company out here to fix anything. In the end, we found out that someone goofed up the move order, and put me down for "lite", even though I was being charged for "high speed"!!!!

So the lesson learned today is if you move and your speed drops, it may be because they simply made a mistake. Your first question should be "Am I connected at the right speed?" I asked that the first time and the guy said yes (moron).

Above all, I am relieved that this has been resolved, and I hope I have helped others with this post.

Thank you to those who responded to my posts.

Tech support is often oblivious to the obvious -- they often read from cue cards in response to "typical" problems. That's why you have to argue the point of your problem as being outside the standard fare, so you can get escalated up to someone with a clue about computers and networking.

...and tech support people are often not connected with billing or location changes. "lite" speeds is probably just the default setting in their program to change your settings.

If you haven't already, ask them for a 1month cost reduction due to their major foul-up. If they refuse, just say something to the effect of "I'll keep that in mind when comparing you to the competition." (If there is any, that is...)

Archived