Random Question

Grey Pilgrim

Hey everybody

I am a new user and I just have some questions/concerns about using Utorrent that I couldn't find answers to in any of the FAQ sections, so I am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on the subject for me here. Now I have paid my membership fees and everything, and I am already thoroughly enjoying the many different downloads that Utorrent has to offer, but my problem is with some of the files (e.g. movies) that aren't out on DVD yet, and in some cases have only recently arrived in theaters. Are these files legal in the sense that the producers of these movies have given the go ahead for people to be downloading and subsequently these files here or elsewhere as opposed to going to the movies to see them or waiting for them to come out on DVD to rent them, or is it possible that some of these files equate to essentially stealing, like the equivalent of sneaking into a movie theater or something. Even with the movies that ARE already out on DVD, are these files in fact protected from a legal standpoint and therefore justifiably downloaded by me by virtue of the one time membership fee that I paid? I don't know anything about any of this sort of thing, and so I am hoping that maybe someone could enlighten me a little bit or else point me in the direction of where I can become more informed. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, God love you.

µTorrent is free. If you paid for µTorrent or for the "right" to download movies, you were duped and ripped off. Since you're in the US, you're definitely subject to its strict copyright laws. Any downloading of copyright movies in currently theaters, on DVD, or what-have-you, without the permission of the copyright holders is illegal in the US, and the people with the copyrights to the movies rarely (if ever) give permission for people to copy/distribute their materials freely. The same goes for any other copyright material.

In short, it's almost definitely illegal, no matter how you slice it. The "company" you paid that said that you'd be able to download movies was perfectly correct -- you can download a lot of movies on BitTorrent, but in many/most cases, it's not legal.

Hey Ultima

Thank you for the sobering information my friend, I certainly appreciate your taking the time to post your reply to my original question. Basically, you summed up and validated my concerns about downloading movie files from other users, especially movies that only recently were released in theaters or have yet to be released on DVD.

I am a bit surprised that even movies that are out on DVD are in most cases illegal to be downloaded through files shared with/from others, I am amazed that the people who run Utorrent don't crack down on this type of illicit usage of their software and thereby reduce the risk of somehow being held responsible by authorities later on down the road. I am also amazed that organizations that are supposed to police this sort of thing are not aware of what is going on.

Well, as I can only control my own actions and not the actions of others I will not be downloading any more movie files, of movies recently released or already on DVD anytime in the future; in response to your revelation about the nature of these files. It all comes back to that old but always relevant cliché that, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

Thanks again for the information friend, God love you.

Even TV shows which have already been broadcast to the public cannot legally be shared (without special permissions!!!) if they're in digital format...though if they're analog VCR tapes, it is legal to share them (barely!) in the USA. ...though even that is considered "bootlegging" if you're trying to $ELL them!

It is not the client's job to control what the users do with it. THat's why web browsers make no effort to stop people from visiting crack sites or anything. If we ever DID do anything, then we WOULD be liable if anything did happen.

Archived