uTorrent Finally Works...But Then...:'(

MrTRiot

I finally got uTorrent to work on my new comp (with vista) and my TP-LINK TL-R460 after about 2 days of messing around with it; scaning these forums; googling and what not..and I thought "hey; utorrent works now so limewire will too!" so I went and downloaded/installed it..

And utorrent got a limited connectivity error! I couldn't believe it...so I uninstalled limewire and it's still saying the same thing..

I was at 60kbs, now i'm at 1kbs if i'm lucky...

I'm going through port 10000 and it's cleared by the router and I also have the incoming ports opened in it aswell.

I didn't change anything except install limewire for about 5 minutes to cause this...and it was working fine!!! *cries*

I have DHT and UPnP disabled as well as having the half connections and everything changed under advanced (spent hours upon hours searching these forums) .

The worst apart about all this is when I start utorrent and it trys to go through the "blocked" port it causes my internet to "freeze"; not being able to connect to anything even when it's on paused DL..

restarting is the only thing that gets my internet back...but it still doesn't fix utorrent's port issue :'(

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Vista right now is a big mess...but keep searching around here for vista tips.

Resolve ips and show country flags may be causing problems too, especially if DHT did.

Just to rule out settings problems though...

What's the speed of your connection both up and down?

What settings are you using in µTorrent, as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)? (just read off the numbers in order from left-to-right then top-to-bottom if you want.)

What did you set the half open max to in µTorrent and what's Window's half open max?

(I think Vista home edition defaults to only 5 half open max.)

Connection Speed? uhh; It maxes out at like 85ish kbs download, set at 92kbs and about 15 upload; rogers cable through the router.

6 upload slots

39 connections both torrent and global (that's what made it work before)

6 active torrents

5 active downloads

I sent it to 4 originally; but I changed it to 2 and it made things work great

and the windows H.O.M.? I have no ideal; but it's a 3 GHz eMachines Windows Vista Basic CPU.

(getting that info made me save my reply to notepad, saving, restarting, then posting due to a non responsive internet due to utorrent :-/...)

edit: anymore time looking on these forums at the same vista tips over and over again is going to cause some mental unstability...hahah lol vista + torrents = a second life

I'm using a terayon modem...and do you mean putting your IP in the net_ip bind (?) in advanced? I tried doing that and it gave me a red sign at the bottom instead of the yellow one it is at now and did nothing for the limited connectivity/blocked port...

Any idea as to why installing limewire (for 5 minutes!!) caused the port to be blocked?

limewire never connected through; it was having the same issue utorrent is now (blocked port/limited connectivity)...another reason while I uninstalled it

how can I open the port for utorrent? Limewire blocked it some how...and I'm loosing faith quickly :(

Change your settings back to something reasonable in µTorrent.

Make sure neither µTorrent, Limewire, or any other internet-using application starts on Windows boot. (This includes ALL instant messengers!)

Verify that your computer isn't attempting to make any incoming/outgoing connections when windows boots up.

...because I suspect you have a serious virus/trojan infection on your computer.

Back to something reasonable? like...uninstall it and reinstall it?

And the only thing that starts up with my CPU is MSN (included) MacAfee (with no firewall) NAV 07, daemon tools, ati graphics drivers and that annoying "Windows Sercurity Alerts"

This computer is about a week old; fresh from future shop...and I've done full system scans twice and have found nothing..

MrTRiot said: "And the only thing that starts up with my CPU is MSN (included) MacAfee (with no firewall) NAV 07, daemon tools, ati graphics drivers and that annoying "Windows Sercurity Alerts""

You can disable MSN if you want.

By McAfee do you mean just its antivirus/antispyware suite? (There's also a "lite" firewall in that to block "spam attacks".)

If NAV 07 stands for Norton Antivirus 2007...well having multiple antivirus software installed and running at the same time on a computer is about as bad as having a virus running rampant. They can potentially fight over critical resources, and if/when one gets locked out it can lock/crash the box.

It is possible to turn off automatically run Windows Update...or at least it was on Win XP SP2!

I've tried absolutely everything you've suggested switeck and NOTHING has worked...

I originally used bittorrent on my old comp and I get the same issue there; even before utorrent stopped working...

I'm about ready to call it quits and install XP :'(

edit: just in case you were wondering the error message I'm getting at the bottom is a yellow triangle with "no incoming connections; this may be a problem with your network"...yet; people can still upload from me and see my computer yet I can't connect AT ALL...?

No incoming connections means you're probably only firewalled 1-way.

It's like your phone never rings (firewalled)...not that you can't pick up the phone and call out.

But since LOTS of people have phones that never ring (firewalled), you can't call them either...and they can't call you!

You're uploading and downloading ONLY to people who are not firewalled. And you had to connect to them first because they can not "call" you.

If everyone on a torrent was firewalled, nobody could upload or download...despite possibly large numbers of seeds+peers. The first unfirewalled peer to come along could have anyone "call" them, but would have to wait till they do! Then they could upload+download with ANYONE that calls them.

I know if a torrent has "low health" I'm not gonna be able to download anything...but when the torrent's health is 10+ with 1k peers? *sighs*

I've basically come to this conclusion...I have ZERO open ports; none what so ever concerning utorrent

p.s. I took that "old" computer and got a better one and it's still the EXACT same issue...*glares at eMachines and FutureShop*

Archived