Port 80?!?

janzam

I would appreciate a professional opinion rearding whether or not port 80 (HTTP) can be used for incoming connections, even when not browsing the web?

Also, i have just switched from a dynamic to a static ip with unlimited downloads. Beforehand, i used to be downloading new torrents at 400KB/s. Now, with the exact same settings, it remains at 10-15KB/s Maximum.

Does one get credited maybe for uploading or something like that? Maybe since i switched to a new ip it needs sometime to get back to normal?

I have no idea guys, so i'd reeaally appreciate your help, before i ive up on utorrent completely!!

:(

Cheers guys :)

the default port for webservers is port 80, when you surf the web you connect to port 80 not from port 80 on your end, so if you set a program to listen for incoming connection on port 80 you won't have any conflicts unless you have something useing that port on your PC (like a webserver or other program set for port 80)

The default port 80 is often blocked by ISPs so customers can't run "illegal" web servers on them...and so viruses/worms designed to infect websites cannot auto-infect lots of customer computers. (If that port were unblocked by default, then viruses/worms would probably find whatever security holes they could to break in.)

Archived