How to change the file paths in .DAT files

Calamity

More specifically, how do you modify or edit the "resume.dat" file (or possibly, "settings.dat" and other .DAT files).

The reason why I'm asking this, is because I need to update/correct the "directory paths" set in "resume.dat", which uTorrent uses to check for the .TORRENT reference files for my loaded torrents.

If you've encountered this situation before, then you won't need me to elaborate further on my question and you can skip the following. But if you haven't, then here's my predicament:

I recently assembled a fairly cutting-edge PC to replace my older one. And even though I purposely designed and built it to be a gaming rig, I decided to move uTorrent into this new powerhouse so that it too, can enjoy the many benefits the new unit provides, like its RAID-0/1 storage subsystem.

Now, according to the official FAQ (which I re-read top-to-bottom just a minute ago), since uTorrent is a stand-alone application, the "move" should be a very simple process. If it's a brand-new "installation" you're doing, you just put the uTorrent executable file wherever you want and run it. But if it's NOT a fresh install, and uTorrent has active .TORRENT files loaded into it (which in my case it does), you need to copy/move the contents of "%AppData%/utorrent" (which contains the .DAT data files and the loaded/active .TORRENT reference files) to your new location. The FAQ even states that you can put the contents of "%AppData%/utorrent" in the very same directory/folder as the uTorrent executable, rendering the whole application completely self-contained in one location and highly portable, which would be perfect for external HDDs and USB flash drives.

So that's exactly what I did. I moved the contents of "%AppData%/utorrent" (including the .TORRENT reference files) into the same directory/folder as the uTorrent executable (a freshly-downloaded version 1.6.1 .EXE file). The folder is also named "uTorrent" by the way. Then in turn, I moved this folder into the "Program Files" folder on the "D:" drive (the system/boot drive) on my new PC. So the full directory path for my new uTorrent "installation" would be "D:\Program Files\uTorrent", containing the uTorrent executable and all the .DAT and .TORRENT files from the older PC's "%AppData%/utorrent" directory.

So now that it's "self-contained", I started uTorrent up and here's the result: In the main torrent list window, I was glad to see that all the torrents that were loaded before, were STILL loaded now. Whether or not they were inactive (finished), seeding or downloading torrents, as long as they were loaded previously, they were all there, which is good because that's exactly how I wanted it to turn out. But I quickly realized that they all have the red "X" icon, indicating problems. Initially, I thought it was because they were looking for the downloaded files/contents for the loaded torrents. But looking at their "Status" field/column, I found out that they were ALL complaining about a very different error. The loaded torrents are STILL asking for the .TORRENT reference files they were loaded from, even though I'd already moved them all into the same folder as the executable!

This represents two significant points. One, even though the uTorrent executable was designed, and thus expected, to operate self-sufficiently out of one folder, it didn't even make a simple check to see if what it's looking for (in this case, the .TORRENT reference files) are just sitting right there next to it in the very same folder! Two, even if we forget the first point for a second, here's the thing, when I took a closer look at the error messages, they ALL say something like "Error: Can't open .torrent file: (My older PC's %AppData%/utorrent path)/torrentFile.torrent". So I wondered, why was uTorrent still using my older PC's "%AppData%/utorrent" system/user-variable directory path, when it should be using my new PC's "%AppData%/utorrent" variable path? I had a hunch, and it led me to open the .DAT files, and there I confirmed my doubts. The reason why uTorrent had NOT adopted my new system's totally-different "%AppData%/utorrent" variable path, was because my older PC's "%AppData%/utorrent" path (C:\Documents and Settings\OldUserName\Application Data\uTorrent) was HARD-CODED into the .DAT files (specifically, resume.dat)!

That means, that even if I decided to completely abandon the run-everything-uTorrent-related-from-a-single-location idea, and moved all the .TORRENT files it's asking for, right into my new PC's "%AppData%/utorrent" folder, uTorrent STILL wouldn't find them, because the "resume.dat" file would still be telling it to use my older PC's "%AppData%/utorrent" path to look for the said files! And yes, I HAVE tried this method!

A rather tedious and messy, not to mention silly and desperate, workaround would be to "recreate" the entire directory structure that uTorrent is "expecting" on my "C:" drive, if I had one (which luckily, I DO). But for obvious reasons, I'm not ready to go down that road just yet. Another idea I've mused over was to just reload every single torrent, but with the number of torrents I have seeding (several dozens), I'm not too excited to go there either.

The only saving grace I see for now, is to modify the contents of the .DAT file/s and "correct" the hard-coded directory paths. But if anyone has a better solution, please DO enlighten me. Thanks!

PS: Even though my main concern right now is how to edit the directory paths so that uTorrent would find the .TORRENT files for my loaded torrents, I believe I'll encounter similar problems (incorrect paths) once the program starts looking for the downloaded files/contents for my loaded torrents. I didn't mention this above 'cause I decided to "cross that bridge when I get there". But if anyone here has a perfect solution for it as well, then double thanks!!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, but I'm afraid I already read about that "technique" before. Besides, that procedure is for changing/setting the location for the loaded torrents' downloaded files/contents. Which is not bad, but what I'm looking for, primarily, is a method for changing/setting the location for the loaded torrents' reference files (i.e. the .torrent files themselves).

If you want to know why, please read my full explanation on the top post. But again, thanks anyway!

Well Engk, got any idea? If you'd like to know, I actually tried editing "resume.dat" using a text editor like Notepad, and tried "replacing" each hard-coded path I find with the right one. I know it was a long shot, but hey, I had to try something, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was having a similar problem, and I stumbled onto a simple fix. First I opened uTorrent and changed the .torrent and file paths in Options>Preferences>Downloads, and Options>Preferences>Other to my new folder locations. Then in uTorrent, I "right-clicked" each .torrent, and "remove". I then navigated to my new folder(s), and re-opened up the original .torrent file(s) I had saved, thereby giving uTorrent a new "hard coded path" to the new folder(s). I had to do it for each .torrent individually, but it worked on all 27 I was seeding/downloading before I moved them.

Hi Sellout, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that solution you posted is exactly what I meant in my first post about "reloading every single torrent" (please check above). And as I've said, I'm not too thrilled about doing that unless I'm absolutely convinced that there's no other way. I mean, with 50 or less torrents, I might take a swing at it, but believe me when I say, I have more than that, MUCH more (that estimate I posted before was very "conservative"). As for the directory options in both "Preferences>Downloads" and "Preferences>Other", yup, I'd played through them before, but since they only apply to NEW .torrent and content files you'll be loading in the future, they won't be rescuing my old "stranded" torrents any time soon. (i.e. they don't affect your already-loaded/opened torrents.)

And Firon, hi, thanks also for trying to help out, but I already tried that one too and like I've said, these options only take effect for future torrents you're going to load, but they won't do anything for the current ones.

Again, this is all because, as far as the uTorrent executable is concerned, that old "resume.dat" file, with the old and outdated and now-irrelevant, HARD-CODED directory paths, is its ONLY true reference when it comes to "handling" your loaded/opened torrents. So even if I decided to bite the bullet, and do the "Right-click Torrent>Advanced>Set Download Location" technique, as prescribed in the Migration Guide, for every single torrent I got loaded (again, with the number of torrents I have seeding, this is already asking too much), but what then? That procedure is only good for changing the path FOR each torrent's "content". But what about the path FOR each torrent's "reference file"--the originating .torrent file? Is there a separate technique for that, I mean besides editing the .dat files? So far, none that I know of. But for the uTorrent gurus, you're free to prove me wrong, though. :)

Version 1.7 is comin' out already? That's a pleasant surprise (if you've released announcements about it, I might've missed it, sorry). So thanks for the heads-up, Firon! I just hope it DOES solve these problems. 'Cause if it does, then my die-hard faith in uTorrent (if it isn't obvious by now), may have just SAVED me! In my free time, I also frequently "preach" uTorrent to my friends, like ya' know, "Thou shall not have no other BT clients before it...", and so forth. Haha.

Again, thanks for the help, guys!

Right, then. Thanks!

And about that faker index page, was that your idea? Well anyway, good one there. I'm big enough of a person to admit when I've been had. Since this site was my very first stop that day, you actually got me to pause blankly for like five seconds, until I realized what day it was! And then I just waited for the big BOO-YAA that's sure to follow. Haha.

• 7 months later...

Ok, 1.7.5 here, and no luck.

Calamity, did it work for you ?

Changed the folder, moved... and nothing.

I tried selecting everything, clicked advanced -> change download location, but this option give me one windows to change ONE by ONE.....

No luck to move everything.

Archived