slow downloading

simon02

hey im new to utorrent so im not to sure on setting or anything like that.

from going thorugh the forum i have seen that people are downloading at 90 to 100 kb/s and I can only download up to 33kb/s and will get under 10kb/s.

Is there any special setting to get downloading that fast or does it depend on the computer and internet speed? my internet speed is 512.

could someone please help???

The more you post about your computer+connection, the easier it will be for us to help you.

How fast is your upload bandwidth?

(Did you do speed tests for both upload and download to see if your ISP is giving you what it claims?)

What Ultima said should probably be done first. :)

ok thanks im in testmy.net and im not sure what test to do would the express dual test be fine? I did the express dual test and my donwload speed is 52kb/s and my upload speed is 13kb/s. I whent through the step guide and it did not work.

in speed guide im not to sure what connection type to select?

And i have a nat problem my icon is orange and i have no idea on how to get it green?

In Speed Guide, that's probably closest to xx/128k.

128 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth is 16 KiloBYTES/sec theoretical max...but after overheads only about 9-14 KiloBYTES/sec usable for file transfers...or torrents!

A little bit of tweaking can be done so you may even run 2 torrents at once...and you really won't need the normal xx/128k total global/per-torrent connection max to do it.

I had a similar problem, here's how i fixed it:

In my case, it wasn't anything to do with my PC - it was my Router (Netgear) settings. To make it clear, everything I did was fine - I opened up all ports on the firewall, but apparently "allow all" wasn't good enough for my netgear DG834

You have to create ANOTHER entry to let the uTorrent port through EVEN IF you've made a setting that "Allow ALL" incoming to your LAN IP.

It might work for you

Until you get the green light, your download speeds are likely to be low. While firewalled, you can only download and upload with unfirewalled seeds and peers...which is less than half of everyone on average. Firewall percentages can actually be over 80% for the general public! So as little as 1 out of 5 may be unfirewalled...and they're not guarenteed to be FAST either -- as dial-up lines are considerably less likely to be firewalled than broadband connections.

You need to know if your modem contains a mini-router or firewall. If so, it needs to be configured.

(Use GOOGLE to find more info about your modem, don't ask us -- we don't know! :P)

If you have a router, it must be configured as well.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

...should have info about your router, or a model very similar to it.

Archived