Major slowdown

kabal4u

Well the problem is that after running uTorrent for about a month my windows goes slower and slower... openning folders, apllications, different games etc. takes one hell of a time. From my observations till now if I plug off my internet cable that fixes some of the problems ( however in that case can't download stuff :D ), after preinstalling my windows everything is fine too of course, however even if this takes me 5 mins there are some irritating options i have to deal with everytime i do it ( I'm using Ghost but i have to update the image file every now and then because my software on the image needs updating too ).

I'm 100% certain that uTorrent is the cause for this since i tested it not using torrents for about a month - everything was perfectly intact, and two days after started few torrents I noticed a difference in the performance of the system, 5 days later, well it was frikin slow again :| I'm also certain that my antivirus software can't be related to the problem, not shure though if my firewall ( BlackIce Defender ) has something to do with this...

Has someone encountered this problem before, it's really troublesome cause i tend to use torrents a lot, i find uTorrent light and efficient and really don't wanna switch for another bit torrent client, but this constant slowdown in the OS is terribly irritating, is it some sort of memory leak :| , any ideas how to fix it... someone?M

Hmm never considered this one indeed, though i usually put some upload limit I'm not shure about the ports. Have to browse the preferences... Yup my XP is totally unpatched only SP 2, even if the patches are ok for few problems there a lot of useless junk there, but never mind that, they also cause me a lot of trouble with the Firewall and are damn irritating...

Just glanced the settings... well i had 200 max connections otherwise the rest was kinda ok, the trouble is now I'll have to preinstal, fix the options and observe the overall performance.

My 10x :) for the tip, I hope this helps...

EDIT: A friend of mine also adviced me to locate the program on another drive ( not the primary one, C:\ in my case ) is this a good idea... I mean will this lower any negative effects on the system... and could there be a downside if uTorrent is not located on the primary drive?

EDIT2: Wow minimizing the conections totaly done the trick, works like a charm now ^ ^, thanks a lot

If lowering your connections solved the problem, you might want to look into finding and replacing the faulty hardware/software causing the problem...at least when/if it finally breaks completely.

Putting µTorrent on another drive won't help much...putting the TORRENT files (you know, the big things you download using µTorrent) on another drive should actually speed things up slightly.

Mhm OK, i actualy from the begining located the torrents i download on another drive...

However it's perfect now... i haven't seen my PC working that fast since the last month when i preinstalled the Windows :)

Once again many many 10x ^ ^

EDIT: :| Well I guess it was to soon to overjoy, but after a day online it's the same thing even worse. Haven't expected to get to the same bad state. Could it be because my PC i online for 12+ hours often... The funny thing is if i disable my connection all is well opening folder, playin any games, using all the software i have :o

Archived