Please help! Problem with download speed?

helldaemon

On one computer that has LAN - 192 kbps i tried downloading torrent with a very large number of seeds and clients. Down speed was about 145.0 kbps. At home I have ADSL connection 512 kbps and when i want to download the same torrent (or any other) - down speed won't grow more than 60.1 kbps - it is about 52.0 kbps. All is forwarded properly, main settings and speed settings are correct. How can I make my down speed be over 100.0 kbps?

Get a faster internet connection.

ADSL 512k means up to 512 kilobits/sec DOWNLOAD bandwidth. (Your upload bandwidth may be 1/2 that or less!)

µTorrent's download/upload speeds are in KiloBYTES/sec. It takes about 8-10 kilobits/sec to download at 1 KiloBYTE/sec. So if you're getting over 50 KiloBYTES/sec download speed, then your ADSL 512k line is maxed out.

Did you run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose the upload bandwidth you have from the drop-down box?

(Note: you haven't stated your upload bandwidth, only your download bandwidth...trying to use your download value WILL cause problems!)

Some ISPs offer 512k and MEAN that's all you'll ever get.

Others actually burst faster (to a LOT faster) at times, even hours...so long as it's off-peak like the middle of the night.

My connection is rated for ~6000k down, but I seldom see faster than 400 KiloBYTES/sec download speeds except at nights on superfast torrents or superfast website downloads.

Basically what Switeck said, but I'd like to offer an addendum. On DSL, you're much less likely to see uncap limits based on time of day, nor are you as likely to see bursts as you would on cable.

From the sound of the first computer, it is likely running on 1500/something DSL, and you're just getting screwed over for some reason. Have you actually run a speed test? That might help narrow it down if you aren't giving or weren't given the correct speeds.

Archived