New Type of utorrent Crash

philly100

I have been searching and reading about system crashes while running utorrent. Seems that, unless there is a blatant conflict with known software, such as certain antivirus and firewall programs, the jury is still out on the exact cause of the crash.

From my reading, I've learned that most people experience unpredictable crashes (anywhere from a few minutes to many hours) after starting utorrent. No so with me. I can run utorrent for many days without inident. The problem occurs if I try to run another program, such as Eudora (email), which accesses the network, while utorrent is running or AFTER utorrent has run (i.e. I have quit the program). 9 time out of 10 (but not 100% reliably), my PC will crash. This never occurs if utorrent is not running or had not been run before since the computer was restarted. Very strange.

I was running 1.6.1 and have recently switched to the new beta, build 1355. Both programs exhibit the same behavior. I am using Windows XP firewall and Panda antivirus.

Please, there is something amiss in the way that utorrent is coded. This many people can't be wrong. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to correct this.

Many thanks for whatever help I can get.

Eh? What do you mean by "[t]his many people can't be wrong"? Your crash is entirely unrelated to the other crashes, so you can't pool your problems along with others. If you really want to say "[t]his many people," you're going to need to count how many people are actually experiencing the same exact problems as you. Which, as far as I can see, is no one besides yourself.

In any case, get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, File > Save, then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here.

µtorrent is an simple but intensive program that utilizes more of your network hard and software then most other applications out there. Underlying problems in hardware (Network Card/USB Network device), hardware drivers (Network Card Driver) and software with system wide hooks (Firewalls, Virusscanners, Network limiters/monitors) often come to surface during µtorrent.

If you lay a railway track and drive over it with normal trains and everything is fine. And then you take the brand new TGV and drive over it with 575 km/h and it derails... Which of the two is the problem train or track? (Besides the idiot that decided to drive that train over untested track ofcos)? Maybe not the best example but I think it confers the general idea.

Archived