Uploading Avatar

fudg3tunn3l

Cannot upload my avatar.... here are the error messages.

Warning: move_uploaded_file(./images/avatars/960099215432c236fc5764.gif) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/vurlix/utorrent_forum/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 241

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/var/php/php1pIxrv' to './images/avatars/960099215432c236fc5764.gif' in /home/vurlix/utorrent_forum/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 241

Are the permissions set correctly?

Can you increase the limitations on avatars a bit?

My regular avatar is 100x100 pixels, 18k, animated.

I'd like to use it. :)

Also... I can't seem to view the emoticons. I get descriptive links where they should be to the left of this window I'm typing in.

Something for the to-check list.

-- Smoovious

Finally I figured it out.. A certain directory did not have execute permission for unknown reasons. Avatars and smilies work properly now. As for increasing the size limits, I'll have to think about it.. bandwidth permitting.

Ignore my earlier comment about the emoticons. It turned out the problem was on my end, and not having enough ports available in my stack to get them, so they just failed to load. They show fine now.

(anyone know of a replacement stack for Win98se that isn't so limited on the number of open connections you can have at once?)

-- Smoovious

Finally I figured it out.. A certain directory did not have execute permission for unknown reasons. Avatars and smilies work properly now. As for increasing the size limits, I'll have to think about it.. bandwidth permitting.

I have a couple sites that host my avatar for me. If I can use the URL for it, then it wouldn't be a bandwidth issue for you.

I'm not sure if phpbb will let you set different limitations depending on where the avatar is hosted or not.

If you can set them differently, and allow larger avatar sizes for ones hosted off-site, that would work for me...

-- Smoovious

Offsite avatars are not subject to size limitations. That means someone could use a 1000x1000 pixel avatar. Maybe i'll just disable the whole avatar deal...

I tried adding my avatar's URL, and got the same size restrictions.

The Profille page says my avatar would be _copied_ from the URL location to the local server.

Oh well... guess I'm going naked...

-- Smoovious

There are two methods that require a link: direct linking (no limitations, currently disabled method) and the other method that copies the image at the specified link, which is just another way to upload the file to the forum.

Ok, it was the direct linking I was speaking of in my earlier post.

-- Smoovious

• 2 months later...

Uploading avatars seems to be borked again. It says "The server was unable to save the uploaded file. Please contact the forum administrator at strigeus@utorrent.com." Disk full? Permissions?

Archived