Loads of peers, slow download.

deek72

Hi. Is there ANYTHING you can do about a generally slow torrent download? I'm connected to loads of peers (20/40) and leechers 50/180) but downloading at an average 50kB/s. I'm on Virgin Media 10mb d/l with 512k u/l.

I know my settings are more or less right (xx/384) because when I try the open office test download my speed shoots up to >800kB/s.

So it must be the particular torrent I'm downloading, but can I do anything to speed it up? Would a different torrent (of the same file, if you know what I mean!) be any quicker? Or are they all the same torrent but with different links to it?

Thanks.

Derek

Peers are sometimes called 'leechers'. Surely you meant "seeds" where you put "peers"?

What's the availability?

Have you reset your modem+router in the last few hours? (turning it off for 1 minute, then back on)

Are you seeing hash fails?

Do you use an IPFILTER.DAT list to block hostile ips?

Yes, sorry. I did mean seeds and leechers.

Availability:28.999.

Haven't reset modem (although I don't think that's a problem, ie. the open office torrent being so fast).

7 Hashfalls (41.0mb).

Don't know about ipfilter.dat. Is that something you have to do yourself? What does it do?

Thanks for your input.

Derek

PS. I have noticed though that whilst I may be connected to 20 seeds, I am usually only actually downloading from maybe 4 or 5 of them, and even theywill only be downloading at very slow speeds, say from 0.1 to 4.0kB/s. Why would that be? Are these people limiting THEIR download speed to ME?

Archived