uTorrent downloads occupies Internet connection

Seederator

Hi all!

I have server with only two active services - uTorrent (client) and FTP server. All works ok, but only if my uTorrent don't have active downloads. When I begin downloading even 1 file, my FTP server become slower after approx 1 minute. It becomes very very very slow! And problem not only about delay of speed from 4 Mbit to 50 kbps!!! Also FTP server starts to answer long commands, and sometimes breaks FTP sessions!

After stopping downloads in uTorrent, normal operation resumes. Very interesting that uTorrent uploads don't effect on FTP server speed. Problems begin only if uTorrent have active downloads.

I have already made all that is described in SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION OR OFFLINE TRACKERS (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992). But it has not helped. I also have tried current beta, but it too has not helped.

Roughly speaking, uTorrent completely "paralyze" FTP server.

Any ideas?

P.S.

Details: 4 Mbit Internet connection (Metro Ethernet, PPTP tunneling w/o encryption; No router). uTorrent download and upload speeds limited to 500 kbps. FTP server in idle (no users connected excluding me). No other applications which use Internet connections are runs. CPU and memory usage no more than 30%. OS Win XP SP2.

I already provide question-related answers. All others questions related to uTorrent speed. But I have no problems with uTorrent speed.

But I can provide all - this is not a problem for me:

EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed below

Tried all from listed:

• Disable IP resolving in the Peers tab

• Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

• Try disabling UPnP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection)

• Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

• Lower net.max_halfopen to 4 (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

• Patched TCPIP.sys (Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, or newer)? Windows Vista users can try this out, but no guarantees are made. Users not on Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, Windows Vista, or newer can skip this step.

• Connect your computer directly to the modem to make sure the problem is not caused by the router

• Restart your computer, modem, and router after performing any of the above

Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Green.

What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Test ok.

What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Upload limit 500 kB/s

Connections 20

Max active torrents 5

Upload Slots 8

Connections global 50

Max active downloads 2

Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Win XP SP2

Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0. Tried to unload it - no matter.

Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

No router! Direct Ethernet connection to provider's switch.

ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Corbina Telecom

Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up)

Ethernet (Metro Ethernet networking). 4 Mbps. VPN (PPTP).

and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload.

Both (upload and download) in range 2..4 Mbps.

Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection.

No other connections. FTP server in idle (commands only - a piece of bytes per second).

So are you sure you are talking about 500 Kbps and not 500 Kbytes?

Because uTorrent list the numbers in kB/s (K bytes), and not Kbps (k bits)

Your ISP list the connection in bits, 4Mbps = 0.5Mbps (or 4000 Kbps = 500 Kbps)

(100 Kbytes = 800 Kbps)

either way 500 Kbps or kB/s for the upload, is WAAAAAAAAY over your ISP limit, which translates into a bottle neck.

Lower it to what your ISP allows, and then even so you still need to optimize it a bit more, to allow free room for the FTP and other connections ;)

Cheers. :D

P.S. never mind you were replying the same time i typed this

So yeap, now i can see you did actually mean 500 kB/s.... that's it too much for your bandwidth to handle lower it more, to aprox 50 kB/s or even less around 25 kB/s to allow room for the FTP

In Speed Guide, the drop-down box is wanting your connection's UPLOAD bandwidth in kilobits/sec or megabits/sec...which are roughly 1/10th of KiloBYTES/sec and MegaBYTES/sec that are used to refer to download/upload speeds for files and torrents.

2 Switeck

In Speed Guide, the drop-down box is wanting your connection's UPLOAD bandwidth in kilobits/sec or megabits/sec...

But tray tool use bytes, not bits. Two different standars in one application. Stranger...

which are roughly 1/10th of KiloBYTES/sec and MegaBYTES/sec that are used to refer to download/upload speeds for files and torrents.

I know very well what it is bit and what is byte. Just I been inattentive.

And as I know, bit (not byte!) reccomended as unit for network speeds.

And one utility should use one unit of measurements!

Archived